• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed or singled deuce with Detroit and icy roads feedback

gentrysgarage

Got a question and hopefully someone has some experience.

Problem:

For the H110 you can only get a Detroit Locker, no air locker available and I think 1.) I couldn't afford it if it was 2.) my understanding you can have one made if you get 50 orders, Not seeing that happening unless an undiscovered warehouse is found with a bunch of M&H 4.56 gears and everyone regears their M135/M211. So for the price and availability the Detroit is my only option for extra traction.

My question is this I have heard the CUCV's are a little squirrelly on ice with Detroits, would I fare better with a heavier truck? Admittedly I run from snow and I am more likely to play in the mud where a Detroit would be handy, but the kids like to snowboard so I have been known to head towards the lands of ice and snow on occasions rather than fleeing.

Thanks for your feedback/insight!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do some neat stuff with the NoSpin as long as you think about what it's doing. I slid the back of my truck down a side hill getting it lined up in the driveway. With that said, it does dogtrack on the driveway going up. I need to get it out in a few more storms to check it's true capabilities.

Eliteweapons

Lockers and Posi units will allow the back to come around if you put down the pedal on slick roads if not careful but you will be moving forward. I run lockers or posi in all may vehicles open diffs suck. One tire in the mud and you will be a sit and spin. I have the detroit No-Spin in my 1 ton and it works great. The tires would bark on tight corners but I wanted max traction.

Last edited:

Eliteweapons

Put lockout hubs up front if you do. Street driving will not be fun or safe if you don't. I have lockers in the front and rear of my 1 ton for when I was offroading all the time, but for street use I only lock the front passenger side. If I had an issue in bad weather and got hung up I would try it in 4x4 first then if that didn't work lockup the driver side hub. If you don't you will not be able to turn very well if at all on wet/slick roads. FYI in case you didn't already know.

winfred

i could steer mine on the 9" ndt's with a locker in the front on the street but it would whip back straight pretty quick when you let go of the wheel, was nearly undriveable on 395s without hubs

gentrysgarage

Thanks Eliteweapons and winfred, real world experience is what I am looking for. I can't afford 2 Detroits, just one, and I will put it in the rear first. I like the trick of locking the right front too!
Thanks Guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks