• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boost and Pyro Info

oldshep

This subject may have been covered in the past, but I am curious about how to install boost and pyro gauges on my 1966 Bobbed M109 with the White LDT-465-1D.
Thanks.

FreightTrain

Banned
Boost Plumbs into the small allen screw on top of the Elbow attached to the intake manifold.Pyrometer probe goes into the exhaust manifold(you will have to remove the turbo so you don't get any drillings in it).The manifold is a 2 chamber design so front half is one chamber rear half is the second.Just run the wires into the cab(do not cut them and do not loop them throws the probe calibration off).Connect to the gauge.Depending on the gauge you may need power.Just Ground out to the body,chassis,any metal close to the gauge and run a hot wire from the gauge to the battery.Use Battery #1 that has the jumper on the positive.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy at the pump shop told me that the wire has to be left the length it comes, and that is why it all comes with terminals attached. The TC probe has a short lead, then there is a choice of leads of different lengths that connect to the TC pigtail and go to the meter itself. He said something about the wires being made of different metals and they have to match up but he was not that sure about what.

houdel

The thermocouple is a joint between two dissimilar metals. This creates a very slight electric potential difference between the metals at the joint. The electric potential changes with temperature, and the pyro amplifies the changes to produce an EGT reading. The leads are mechanically fastened so that the joint between the wires joins the two same materials together. If you soldered the wires, the solder would introduce a different metal into the joint, thus creating another "thermocouple" in series with the first. The pyro is sensitive enough that the solder joint would cause inaccurate readings, which is why the thermocouple leads should not be modified at all or soldered. Even using the wrong bolt to join the wires together would throw the EGT readings off.

Guys - with the ISSPRO pyrometer stuff you cannot change the braided preterminated thermocouple wires - however the sending wire from where the braid ends can be shortened - the included in struction specifically say so - I have installed 5 or 6 of these on Formula Fords (open wheeled race cars) and the readings are very consistant with dyno readings and other pyrometer / egt data - that is even after running the feed wires through a 4 position selectable switch with 22g tinned wire - all joints crimped and soldered then heatshrunk... HTH

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks