• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boost & Pyro Gauge placement

littlebob

Weather permitting, I would like to paint my dash this weekend. Before I paint it I was looking for a place to cut holes for gauges. Also I noticed a number under one of the data
plates and wondered what it's meaning. Any input?
littlebob

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there room for the guage on the top right there? The defroster duct might be in the way.

FreightTrain

Banned
Heck,get you a project box from Radio Shack,a couple exhaust clamps,and a hole saw.Make a Gauge pod that mounts to the steering shaft like I did.If you use a big one you can fit 3 gauges in there(2 Pyros for front and rear bank and a boost gauge in my case).

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several people did that and it is good looking. Also a good place for a couple idiot lights for low oil or low air.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I really like what Deuceswild did with his gauges. Go look in the photo album at his truck, I think he has pics of it in there.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I have a dumb question here.

I think that I understand what the pyro gauge is for: if the EGT gets to high, back off the throttle. I guess the military detuned the engines enough to not need a pyro gauge, and it becomes necessary if the peak fuel rate is turned up and the engine is driven harder.

How is the boost gauge used, though? I know what it measures, but I don't understand how that information is useful while driving.

FreightTrain

Banned
well,the boost gauge really doesn't do much since we have non-waste gated turbos but I like to be able to see what kinda numbers I am pushing.Besides,anything over 12PSI is wasted due to air charge heating in a non-intercooled truck and plus over 15PSI could cause damage due to the high compression and already weak head gaskets.On our old Fords(the trucks in my signature...whole nother group of Maniacs!) we go by the rule of 12PSI max,1250 Degree max temp with 1100 safe sustained EGT since aluminum starts to melt at 1250degrees and we usually either get head lift off over 12-15PSI with stock gaskets and a non turbo spec engine the wrist pins start turning the piston hole into a oval.The Ford 6.9/7.3L and the LD465 engines both have the same compression.22-1.

FreightTrain

Banned