• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boots

sermis

Ok ACE it is your time to shine. Which TM covers the front axel boots. I can't findit, OK too lazy to look maybe.....I need to know whrer the clamp bolts need to be. I am replacing my boots with ones from OD Iron W/O zippers. I do not want to pull them off again but also dont want the knuckles to rip them like my last ones.
Where do the clamp bolts need to be located?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Not ACE, but, TM9-819, or TM9-8022, or the newer TM9-2320-209-20 or, if you use the fancy newer ones, TM9-2320-209-20-3, or finally TM9-2320-361-20.

HTH,
David Doyle

devilman96

By the by... On any boot... New, old, zippered, solid they will benifit greatly from applying a silicone product to them like "Black Magic" tire spray. Its slimy nasty stuff but its really good for rubber and will buy you a MUCH longer service life...

Also... It might look funky on Deuce tires for the frist few days but soaking them down and letting them absorb the stuff will really help with dry rot.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does that work Mike, what's the theory? Keeping tires out of the sun helps, so does it block the rays? Any long term comparative studies?

JDToumanian

How does that work Mike, what's the theory? Keeping tires out of the sun helps, so does it block the rays? Any long term comparative studies?
It's also possible that it seals the rubber against ozone or other chemicals that degrade it over time...

This product is different than Armor All? Armor All makes rubber or leather harden and degrade faster, exactly opposite what the label says it will do.

Jon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
JDToumanian said:
Armor All makes rubber or leather harden and degrade faster, exactly opposite what the label says it will do.

Jon
That has been my experience with Armor All as well. Once you start using it, you gotta keep using it.

I'll ask a chemistry professor friend about this.....I've never used "Black Magic".

Army says to prevent dry rot, don't let tire touch ground, and don't let sunlight get to tire (and yep, I've got pix of just how they did this) - but that plan isn't really practical for us - but then again sunlight is not likely to reach boots!

Just put boots on a truck - replacing ones put on exactly 10 years ago.

Regards,
David

sermis

OK Any way to replace the inner axel seal with out taking the other side apart and knocking the seal retainer out using something from the opposite side?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a Snao -On axle slide hammer with the bearing hook and it takes quite a while to break it loose.

sermis

Went to Harber Freight and found a bearing puller that attaches to slide hammer. 2 to 3 minutes of hammerong and out she came.

devilman96

Silicone based products are not the same as armor all... Silicone penetrates rubber and helps hold moisture in the outer layer while repelling water, this helps with the weathering affects which cause dry rot. Its not very fun stuff to use as its slimly as all get out, on your daily driver you prolly wouldnt use it, get it on your steering wheel once and you will know why... Its pretty messy stuff but works incrediably well.

Don't believe, go buy a bottle and spray some on half of a old tire, don't wipe it just leave it to soak... Come back and take a look at it 6 months to a year later.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny thing about the silicone especially BFS. Here in S FL mold on concrete happens all the time. It looks like black algae. You can tell every single place I've ever bled brakes on the deuce as those areas of concrete stay white, I mean white. If BFS weren't so expensive, I'd give all my concrete a spray and not have to pressure clean the crap off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks