• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Borrow a head bolt tool in central VA?

stupidjeep

I had to leave the Deuce here a few months ago when the HG went, now that I have a few days off of work I am back for her. I have a 3/4" drive set, some breaker bars and the TM for HG replacement. The bolts have been sprayed with PB over the last few months, so hopefully I dont break anything.

I am hoping someone can lend me the crazy wrench, I dont have access to a welder. I am in Goochland County, but willing to drive all around VA to get one of these.

Thank you

Chris Robbins

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I personally went to advance auto and picked up a wrench. I placed it in my vice and used a torch to bend it into a |_| shape. Then I welded a broken socket base to the open end. If I were to use it again, I'd add some gussets in the bends to beef it up a little. Or at least create a spline down the back of the wrench to re-enforce it. As it does flex a bit at 100+ ft-lbs. Have no fear of it breaking though. Cost $8 plus time, gas, a welding rod, exc. I was going to buy one from Saturn until I read about all the breakage issues.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Crazy Head Bolt wrench

What does a head bolt "crazy wrench" look like!?
I wanted to know about tools to get the heads off.
Apparently they are not for sale but many SS members own them or have made things that work . Some of the purchased wrenches break before getting to 160 ft.lbs.
Pictures for the General

stupidjeep

Thanks hoop. I may take you up on that if you are available this weekend. A friend thinks he can help me out and try to fab one up, I'll see if that works first.

We got everything torn apart tonight, except for the injecter side, there doesnt seem to be much to that. I've never seen the insides of an engine before!

stupidjeep

I made one! A local repair shop welded it for $20, and after some grinding trial and error she's golden. I got the heads off and taking them to be milled tomorrow. I was able to see where the head gasket failed.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just buy the correct tool for the job. What you need is called a "Torque Adapter". The link provided is about $20 or so, I'm sure if you shopped around you can find one much cheaper. Proto J5128 Torque Adapter.

Attachments