• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought complete side seats and they dont fit!

nmc

:?:
I bought two new side seats (the ones that fold up and fit on the side of the bed) Part number 10937950 stock number 2540013438694 I looked these up in the tech manual tm 9-2320-361-20P and the part number says it will work with either a drop side bed or a cargo bed. The side racks still have the part number on them so when I went to put on the side seats the pockets were all off by a few inches. I was in a hurry so I decided to paint up my original wood ones these new ones are all metal. What do I have that is making them not work? I also have the front one that is all metal that went with the set and it did fit. In that manual they have two or three sets of the seats but I could not make much sense on what they fit from it. I guess I will have to resell them if I cant get them to work or if they are for something different. Any help appreciated.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NMC, Most of the all metal ones fit the stuart and stevenson trucks only! Where did you get them??? What year is your truck? I have both beds and they are interchangeable. If you can ad your location and your truck to your sig. it's a requirement here.

nmc

I have a standard m35a2 cargo bed 1970 model truck. I actually found these sides at a car swap meet by chance. I wonder why the part number matches the one for a m35 bed but it is just to short for it Is there a short bed variation or something and if it is for the stewart and stevenson trucks what are there model numbers? That still does not account for them being in the m35 parts book. I think I am happy with the old wood ones so I will probably list these on the ebay if I can figure out what they fit. I will probably take a heck of a loss though

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uncle sam has been known to put the wrong tag on something. Units are allowed to only keep so much of each item. if they have too many they have to get rid of it. Someone may have change a tag to cover a mistake. Most GI's don't like to hear the Sargent yell. I've bought stuff from Gov Lick that i still can't figure out what it is sopposed to fit. I'd bet they fit a S&S 2 1/2 ton drop side 4x4.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the part #'s and NSN's that were on the racks, were they on a hand written "fill in the blanks" tag or some sort of factory packaging info? If they were on tags, I bet you fell victim to the "Unmatched Recoverables" process in the supply system. For those that dont know, this is how Unmatched Recoverables work.

A unit needs a new starter for a humvee because they have one on a humvee that doesnt work. Shop office orders it. It comes in. When new starter is given to the mechanic, the mechanic is told "bring back the broken one" The computer shows that the unit has a new starter, (say price is $500 to make the math easy) The old broken starter is worth $200 for turn in so it can be fixed. So the final cost for the starter is only $300 to the unit IF they turn in the broken one. If they DONT, the unit gets charged the full cost. This system is desgined to punish BN's in the pocketbook who dont turn in recoverable parts. When the mechanic turns in the starter, it is taken off a list called the "Unmatched Recoverables" The list is a listing of all the parts that need to be turned in so they can be repaired or taken off the books to keep all the supply types happy so they know how many of X item are in the system. Starters, canvases, trannys, and engines are just a tiny part of some of the items that are on the list. Units have lots of vehicles and this list of items can grow quite huge, in both length and $$$. These sorts of stats get briefed to BN CDR's and higher. The BN CDR wants to keep this list as little as possible. Once a week, someone goes thru the list, and asks mechanics "where's the broken XYZ part so we can get it turned in?" Sometimes mechanics loose items, they canabalize broken engines to get some good parts off, ect. Once an item is on the list for over 30 days, the pressure is REALLY on to get the part turned in. At this point mechanics will do whatever they have to to beg, borrow, steal or flat out lie on the NSN/Part # the part to get it off the list and go home on time that day. On things like side racks that all look the same when they are strapped to a pallet, it's easy to tag the part as part #1234 when it is really part # 5678 the part gets turned in, and in this case of the side racks, they may find their way to DRMO and get GL'ed out, and you, the buyer gets screwed because all the info thats on the tag is what the unit SAYS it is. Obviously, some parts are hard to BS like starters and engines, but quite easy to do with a folded up mound of vehicle canvas or side racks. My guys often would order the wrong side rack, get it, figure out it is the wrong one, tag it as unserviceable, and it would go to DRMO. Not the right way to do it, but it did happen. It's easier to say that the part you got was broken than to admit you ordered the wrong part and spent $ needlessly because you cant read the USEABLE ON code.

Please note: This is a VERY simplified short explanation of how it works.

nmc

It did have a small prited tag but I think you guys are right on. I guess I will just sell them off but I will tell them about what we think they fit. Do you guys know the best way to sell them, or is the ebay the best...thanks again for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks