• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bov

PhillyAR

I have been lurking here for a while. Lots of good info.

I have always been into military type firearms and would like to have a military vehicle someday as a BOV/4 wheeling toy. Between the M1008 and M1009 which one is better for this purpose ?

As I look at it the M1008 is obviously going to be able to haul more stuff. However I am concerned with the long wheelbase making it not as capable offroad. Also with the 4.56 gears and stock tires it does not sound like it is all that fun to drive on the highway.

The M1009 seems like it would better fit my needs. However I am concerned about the 3.08 gears. Does that fact that diesels don't rev as high cancel out this high gear ration. Seems to me that gas trucks usually have 3.73 or more gear.

Cucvnut

the M!008 is a good plate form for more of a wheeling stand point. the M1009 is a better Daily Driver than a M1008. I plan to get one someday. yes the M1008 is not fun to drover over like 55 with stock tires but with bigger tires it has no issue. the M1009 can go like 75 and gets decent fuel mileage.

for a bov, i gotta say go for the M1008. although it may not be as nimble, it is way more suited to extreme conditions without breaking. a bug-out situation is the last place you want to snap an axle, or have any kind of major breakdown. and ive had my M1010 in places that i may have been leary of taking my FS Bronco, which is also Ex-Gov't. the M1008's size wont be nearly as much of a problem as you think, because the trucks tough enough to bash its way through.

original

I've had no off road trouble with my m1008. The long wheel base doesn't affect much until you start crawling over extremely rough terrain. Side by side, off road, the M1008 will outperform the M1009. I have them both. But as said above, the M1008 is not made for highway use.

Mohawk, here you go. i bought it from a ghetto car lot when i lived in Simi Valley back in 2003, so you may have seen it cruising the highways out there, or wheeling at Hungry Valley, Dove Springs, or in places i wasnt supposed to be... hehehe... its a 92, 5.8L, 4.11s, heavy-duty suspension, and rollbar from factory. lots of fun for a stock truck.

Attachments

bov

2 of the pics are in my driveway when i lived in Simi. if you look close you can see the rollbar thru the window. the other one was when we arrived at BurningMan in 2003... thats not me in the pic, it was someone that rode out there with us. when i bought the truck, it turned 46k on the way home from the carlot.

Last edited:
you know, i used to hear that almost every day out there. in fact, i came real close to putting a bloody handprint on the tailgate, and i sticker that said "I killed Ron Goldman"... hehehe... but then again, i am a little warped in the head...

Mohawk Dave

Still,

That's really cool. What gov agency had those, or was it just any/all agencys that bought them. I can not recall ever seeing one and I've always been a FORD guy.

(Or if I did I did not realize it was Gov)

i believe mine was from Orange Cty, prob. Fish and Game, or equiv. when i went to look at it the first time, it was straight from the gov't to the dealership, but was caked with mud underneath. but they were used by police, forestry, etc... ive also seen Ramchargers(late-models) set-up similar. its a Custom model, but most civvy versions are XLT, or Eddie Bauer, or something similar. this is barebones, other than mechanical upgrades. manual windows and locks(other than rear window), vinyl seats and floorcovers(hose it out!!), and am/fm. only real option was air conditioning, but that may have been standard on all Broncos by then. but that truck went places i never thought it would. we nicknamed it Pegasus( the Great White Flying Horse), because after buying it, we drove straight to Hungry Valley, and proceeded to do about 50mph or so through the washes and jump everything we could find... not the smartest move, but a lot of fun!!

when i bought it, i was looking for either a Bronco, or a V6 86-89 4Runner... for the first time in my life, i actually wanted IFS instead of a straight axle. but if i got a 4Runner, i wanted under 80k miles, and we both know thats about impossible to find... so a Bronco with 46k is what i got... just needed something with removable top that would be fun at speed in the desert... although not the kinda speed you used to!!:drool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks