• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brackets for towing

CGarbee

The towbar attaches to the M35 using the lifting shackle brackets. You remove the shackles from the brackets (pull the pins), and attach the towbar using the correct adapter (foot) on the bar and the pins that come with it...

I'll see if I have a photo somewhere...

acetomatoco

When towbaring, the excitement comes the first time you make a sharp turn and the towed truck does not return to center. Be ready for that to happen when you come out of the gas station, the mini-mart or in the center of town. Some folks put a driver in the second one to make the hard moves at low speed. Others, like me, here in VT where there are no straight roads., tie the wheel loosely in the towed vehicle so it can make sweeping turns easily and scuff around the sharp ones without getting stuck in left or right lock. Towbars bend, friends scream, children laugh and you will not be happy.... Forewarned.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I just got to thinking, with a disc of steel about 2 3/4" in diameter and 1/2" to 3/4" thick, you can make your own tow bar feet out of a set of lifting loops. Just cut the discs to size, put a 1" hole near one edge and then weld the discs in place. I am going to make myself a set and see how they come out.

houdel

Re: RE: brackets for towing

Blood_of_Tyrants said:
I am going to make myself a set and see how they come out.
Probably not a great idea. The towbar feet are a pretty substantial piece of metal, and something you would be very unhappy to have break while whizzing along at 30-40 mph. There is a tremendous amount of stress at the end of the towbar, and one recent thread had a pic of a member who completely broke off the end of his towbar (about 2" diameter solid steel bar) simply by installing the correct towbar foot the wrong way!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks