• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Bleeding 101

Crash_AF

I've got all the TMs, but nothing replaces first hand experience...

My new 816 has an EXTREMELY low pedal. It stops about an inch (or less) above the floor so I'm assuming it's either REALLY low on fluid or needs to be bled.

Is bleeding the brakes on the 5 tons the same as anything else, or do I need to watch out for anything in particular since they are air over hydro?

Also, I don't have any Mil-spec silicone brake fluid, is there anything I can use as a substitute or should I just order it from a supplier and wait for it to arrive? Any suggestions on how much I should buy to properly bleed the system?

Thanks,
Joe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, pretty much bleeds in the same fashion oof any other hydrailc system. There is a bleeder on the airpack so do that one first. Your call on the fluid. You can do it in DOT3 but you would have to do a thorough flush which is a PITA and would take hours using the pump method. If you have the time, I'd order BFS and keep it that way. You might ought to consider building a powerbleeder too. It's not too costly and can be a real life saver. I take mine with me on every trip. Here's a peek at mine! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3439

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kenney is right, the power bleeder is awesome. There is an add in the classifieds for a good price on silicone(bfs).

hippiedude

A complete fiush will cost you 2 maybe 3 gals. I made that power bleeder that Recovry4x4 posted ,$30 or $40 maybe.... It`s the BOMB !!!! Tim

acetomatoco

If it goes close to the floor with a hard pedal, it indicates that the brake shoes need to be adjusted closer to the drum....lucky you, only 25 adjustments per truck. If the pedal is spongy and hardens up with several applications it may be a bleeding issue.

steelandcanvas

hippiedude said:
A complete fiush will cost you 2 maybe 3 gals. I made that power bleeder that Recovry4x4 posted ,$30 or $40 maybe.... It`s the BOMB !!!! Tim
Tim I have to agree with you, that bleeder is the BOMB! I'm going to make one today, I think I even have all the parts, including a sprayer with a broken wand.

John

area52

Just as a side note:

You can mix DOT 3 and DOT 5 with no adverse effects!!! You do not have to flush the entire system!! You will not get the desired " non absorption of water" of DOT 5 but it will still be good brake fluid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks