• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake faillure

dutch-deuce

Hi i don’t post a lot here ( i read a lot here ) but this event made me sweat ( real bad ) and just want to share this strange cause of my brake failure.

Used the deuce for work last week and on the way back i had to make a turn and hit the brake
to slow her down ( was going about 45 mph ) but in a second the brake pressure was gone pedal on the floor and the road was ending. So i pull the hand-brake ( almost out the floor )
The hand-brake really was smelly but slow the deuce just enough to make the turn.
fortunately i was 5 min. from home and drive her home in a low slow gear. One rear-tire was covert in brake-fluid.
Today i pulled the rear wheel and hub and noticed that the brake-drum was a little loose.
When i pulled it of i found out that some of the bolts that holds the drum on the hub came off.
4 bolts where completely out and broke the brake-cylinder.
I have flipped the hubs but that was 8 years ago and i checked the brakes and hub-bearings
regularly.

So why, how can this happen ?

Gone check the other hubs too and use a lot of lock-tite.

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad you didn't have an accident, tear up your truck, or something worse! With the Deuce having a single circuit brake system, it is actually quite amazing that more brake failures don't occur. These 40+ year old trucks have a lot of brake components that can fail due to aging hoses, corroded lines, etc.

dozer1

Glad to hear that you were able to think fast and handle the situation. Sounds scary. Good thing you were close to home so you could limp the truck home and get some clean underwear :oops: lol. kidding. Those are the kind of stories that are good to share so when people are inspecting the brakes, they will be checking that out good too. Thanks

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am glad you are ok and the incident happened in probably the best possible location (minus the curve). IIRC, the bolt heads that hold the brake drum to the hub have a hole drilled through them and are supposed to be secured with safety wire. This would prevent the bolts from backing out.

DieselBob

The bolts that have the safety wire are the ones that hold the hub / hub adapter assembly together. The bolts that hold the brake drum to the hub adapter only have lock washers under the nut.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks