• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake fluid

Dayron84

I popped open the master cylinder and brake fluid is less than half full. According to TM it should be 1/8” from the top. Seems that it would over flow once lid is back on? Either way I need to top it off and not sure what fluid I’ve got. TM says to use dot 5 silicone fluid which I believe has a purple color. What I have is clear. Looks like regular dot 3 fluid. Any way to tell the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOT 3 and DOT 4 are miscible with water. DOT 5 is not. Take a small sample of what you have in your MC and add it to a cup of water. If it completely disappears, it is DOT 3 or 4. If it forms a definite separate layer, it is DOT 5 which is silicone based. As an aside, DOT 5 is only purple when new. With age it tends to turn clear or yellowish.

Dayron84

DOT 3 and DOT 4 are miscible with water. DOT 5 is not. Take a small sample of what you have in your MC and add it to a cup of water. If it completely disappears, it is DOT 3 or 4. If it forms a definite separate layer, it is DOT 5 which is silicone based. As an aside, DOT 5 is only purple when new. With age it tends to turn clear or yellowish.
Worked perfectly! Separated in the water so I’ve got dot 5. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks