• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake shoe install question

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered and received a "Brake shoe retaining" kit from Clark Truck parts in WV.
The kit did not include the large U-shaped clip and washer....
Question, are those parts eliminated or did they ship an incomplete kit?

Doesn't look like the U-clip and washer are really needed but my shoes are held in place by both the mid mounted retainer and the U-clip.

Just curious, because one of them U-clips got unclipped and jammed the shoe a few weeks ago, locking up the brake and if they are not needed, I'll get rid of all of them.
I think Kenny (Recovry4x4) posted something about this, but I wasn't paying attention.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
you probably ordered the service kit P/N 8332057 (TM 9-2320-361-34P, page 250, fig. 90) which does not include the flat washer #13 and the U-shaped retaining clip #11.
These were not eliminated. If you don't replace them and only rely on the two hold down bolts, chances are for mis alignment, uneven wear or totally come off of the brake shoe, sooner or later...
If you don't have that retainer by hand take another flat washer, 3/32 thick, cut it open and bend it via visegrip well into the groove. It will work.

Gerhard

Attachments