• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake upgrade

cxcman

ok im thing safty ; i live in florida and have a lot of elder drivers here and they tend to slam on the brakes a bit. my question is the rockwelll top loaders have a extra "yoke" on the opposite side not being used .... so is there a way to add a brake rotor sys to that and mate it to the factory set up ?

number9

If you can do this, which I am sure you can with time and money, only the front axle and the rear axle will have the yoke not being used. The middle axle (or front drive axle) will have a drive shaft connected to both sides. That doesn't mean you couldn't fashion some sort of brake on it as well in-line with the drive shaft though as there are applications out there with this setup.

If you do get the rotor setup lined out you'll have to tackle the mater cylinder side of things. You'd need to check bores of the master cylinder and whatever brake caliper you use to determine if the master cylinder could provide enough braking force to the whole system. Also keep in mind that disc brakes "consume" fluid or the volume of as they wear whereas drum brakes have the adjuster on the backing plate that takes up the difference between the brake shoes as they wear so the wheel cylinder strokes the same amount

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do a search here on SS for pinion brake. You will be deeply rewarded.

whyme

here is some fun thoughts ive had. first yes you can and there might even be off the shelf solutions (for the brakes themselves) given that ive seen soo many in the crawler crowd set up this way. second the replacement master i just bought from od iron has multiple outputs (still a single circuit design) so hook up would be easy. a remote reservoir mod would satisfy the additional consumption needs and if you went this route you could use a second airpack or some other form of booster for the disks so as not to strain the existing system.

at that point of course why not get a dual circuit master and add redundancy.

to the point of the cylinder matching, as my understanding of our system has it, the master cylinder does little unless there is air loss. otherwise its the cylinder on the hydro side of the air pack that is in question given the master only replenishes and triggers the airpack. honestly i assume they would be matched but just something to consider.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
why not just upgrade the brake system to dual. actually easier and better. pinion brakes with an open diff may just result in wheel spin and no braking at all.

tom

Flyingvan911

That would be a very interesting project. Mount the caliper to the axle and a source fluid pressure. I would recommend a dual circuit. What good is adding braking force if it's lost with the rest on the system?

On the other hand, what about the dual circuit systems off of the 1988 deuces? I would be interested in finding out what parts I would need from an '88 to make my '70 A2 a dual circuit.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That would be a very interesting project. Mount the caliper to the axle and a source fluid pressure. I would recommend a dual circuit. What good is adding braking force if it's lost with the rest on the system?
As Tom said, pinion brakes are problematic for our application. There is a 5+ page thread on pinion brakes where the mechanical issues are explained and sorted in a very complete way.

On the other hand, what about the dual circuit systems off of the 1988 deuces? I would be interested in finding out what parts I would need from an '88 to make my '70 A2 a dual circuit.
Again, there are TONS of threads which discuss which parts are necessary, what the process is of obtaining and installing them, as well as all the little details involved (some PTO bracketry issues, etc.).

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So whats wrong with the OEM brakes?

Will they lock the tires?

Pinion brakes are not a good plan. Not to mention that they require significantly more fluid pressure to provide the same brake force. Back to having to balance the system.
Upgrading to a dual circuit is a better safety approach.