• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brakes and "The Learning Truck"

ohnuts

Have found (3 ) brake line faults and two failures so far and still need to build a pressure bleader.

A hand over hand inspection by crawling under a Deuce is the best way to learn what you have and where it connects. Even if you dont understand what you see later it will come to you when the right learning tools are found.

Diesel Boat Sailors used to force the new guys to build thier own sets of drawings by hand over hand tracing out piping and electrical on the subs, brutal work but a fast solid learning tool. Found my first fault while running my own hand over hand while looking for leaks, cracks and rub holes.

First fault was an airline that was not inserted into the sleeve fitting or compression fitting at all. With a firm pull the airline pulled out of its union fitting and long nut. The surprise was the air leakage was never very much even at a hundred PSI. Took the fitting apart and found the sleeve (crush ring) fitting wedged into the body union fitting. The airline was riding inside the long Nut butted up against the sleeve fitting (crush ring). The only thing that kept the airline from blowing out of the Long Nut was the pipe hangers holding the copper tubing from backing out.

2nd fault was a Tech who didnt again insert the airline through the sleeve fitting but half way before tightening the long nut. The airline at some point pulled out. So Bozo takes a file and shapes the airline into a 22 caliber point and shoves it back into the longnut and jams it into the sleeve fitting. You can see the file marks pictured on the copper tubing. This leaked so bad that my compressor had no real presure to tell it when it was time to shut off. Good pics.

3rd fault was a tech had inserted the airline too far through the sleeve fitting before trying to compress with the long nut. The copper tube bottomed out in the male pipe drop tee connector before the long not could pull the sleeve fitting against the tee connector. The sleeve fitting (crush ring) never making contact with the fitting could not seal. The airline had a poor but type seal that leaked so bad the tech stripped the long nut trying to pull the tube further in. Making the airline leak around the Long Nut thread and opening.

Sleeve fittings must be a measured distance up from the bottom of every copper line they seal into a fitting. Too far and they buttom out. Too short and they flex or dont insert into the body of the fitting. Fail to get the tube in the sleeve fitting at all and the copper tube will just shoot out of the long nut under pressure. Threw in a picture of a sleeve fitting that rode and sealed well on the bottom of my leaking presure switch.

Only use long nuts and hardware that are DOT rated. Dot parts are stamped as such, they are longer and stronger and tested. There are long nuts that are not DOT but I wouldnt use them. There are even more shorter fittings that will connect that are even more incorrect.

Remember the average age of the guys who worked on your truck for its long career. It's a wonder any of us ever made it home back when.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks