• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes, Oh, My!

dabtl

The brakes failed, leaking cylinder on the driver's side front rear. To the shop.

Rear axle, passenger side, leaking brake cylinder, slick shoes, no braking apparently.

Front rear axle, passenger side, leaking seal, minimal brake. Front rear axle, passenger side, leaking wheel cylinder as expected. Brake failed, but otherwise it had been in good condition.

We move to the front axle on Monday. I hope it is OK, but then everything is being replaced.

By Wednesday it should have a completely new set of seals, a new brake system including shoes, wheel cylinders, air pack, master cylinder and new flex hoses.

You cannot be too careful. :)

APM215

There should never be a price on safety. Good job for doing it right.

CLARK 55AG LOADER

dabtl

An update:

Rear axles contained one defective wheel cylinder, one OK but needing replacing, two bad seals. Both bad seals were old and cracked.

We move to the front axle tomorrow.

All new shoes, wheel cylinders, brake mounts and turned drums complete on four wheels.

New flexible rubber hoses on all axles. New air pack and master cylinder installed.

Next is the front axle.

dabtl

We got to the front axle today. Disaster loomed!

The front wheel bearings, driver side, were rusted, yes I mean rusted. Appeared to be in that condition for years. All seals and bearings replaced on both sides.

There had been no symptom of trouble prior to the brake job. Got lucky, I guess.

Attachments

dabtl

The final tally. Over $2K for a completely new brake system with turned drums. :shock:

But, how much is your life worth?

Next are the U Joints, easy and cheap. :roll:

dabtl

The final casualty count is in.

The master cylinder was leaking. The air pak was leaking air. Two leaking wheel cylinders, two cracked grease seals, two brakes inoperative and front wheel bearings completely shot.

It is now new brakes from front to rear, all but the steel brake fluid lines, to complete the job. New front wheel bearings and new rubber hoses replaced the old.

With new U Joints, it should be good to go for a long time to come. :D

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me, there is a big difference in "having" to work on my vehicles (because of an unscheduled repair or problem) or "wanting" to work on my vehicles (to do PM, upgrade, etc.). The former always requires me to pump up my motivation...
Hey, could you post a pic of your truck? :)

tjcouch

To chime in . . . I just paid a heavy truck mechanic to replace all of the lines on my M35. (sometimes I have time to do mechanical work, sometimes I just cut a check.)

Total bill: $386 . . . best money I have spent in a long time. (I had a line fail not to long ago . . . so not a happy feeling.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks