• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brakes on a deuce

deess

im new to the world of deuces. just bought my first one saturday.i have bled all 6 wheels and the master cylinder twice.when some one pumps them10 times and held the pedal it had plenty of pressure out of the bleeder. but the pedal goes to the floor.if you pump up the breaks they kind of work but as soon as you let off they quit and you have to pump them up again,this made for a scary ride home from spring texas.any help on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks Shane

Alredneck

Banned
Pull off all the drums all the way around and look for leaking wheel cylinders, they like to go out, you can rebuild them or get new ones. Makes sure the reservior is always topped off with the right fluid. When I first got my deuce the brakes didnt work well, it sat for along time, and we tried bleeding them and that was only good to get it on the transport truck. But after filling the reservior and letting it soak up the new fluid for a couple of days eveything swelled back up in the airpack so now no more problems. Start with the easy stuff first then work to the more compilcated aka exspensive next. Captain

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: brakes on a deuce

deess said:
check the air pack ? i dont know what or where that is,please explain thanks
These trucks use air pressure to boost the brakes...kinda like a car uses vacuum. The air pak is located under the drivers side of the cab. Before you do ANYTHING to it or the truck, you should do what steelandcanvas says, download the manuals. If you have dial up, it will take forever to download, there are people on e-bay that sell TM's on CD. Buy them, they are like 6 dollars. Don't be afraid to ask questions though, sometimes the TM's aren't too clear and someone here might have done what you are doing and can help.

emr

RE: Re: RE: brakes on a deuce

just check for the leaky wheel cylinders first, they are prone to leak and will do what u say, I would bet u will find some even if U have other trouble, SO...fix the leaky wheel cylinders first, then if U have other trouble U will have been in touch with the truck and in the process learning where things are, BECAUSE if u fix something big first U probably will still have leaky wheel cylinders,dont go crazy one step at a time , it only makes sense since U just got a truck that has sat most of its life to pull the wheels and checkem first, it is where i have allways started and still do even after knowing alot more, good luck research posts here on brakes there is alot ,but they are simple after U get the hang of it, enjoy your new toy, they are awesome...Randy

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: brakes on a deuce

Snoplay got it! EXACTLY the same thing will happen, if the shoes are out of adjustment! If you had a leaky cylinder, fluid would be all over, & you would see it. When brakes are out of adjustment, it takes several pumps, to move them out against the drums. Relax the brakes, & again, you will have to pump them. You may still have other problems, but you MUST adjust them, before doing anything else. If your using the brakes a lot, you may have to adjust them every several days. On heavy trucks, with air brakes - its adjust daily.

Lee in Alaska

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: brakes

Deess, at the top of the deuce forum there is a sticky with many of the deuce manuals and their descriptions. For starters download the Operators and Unit Maintenance. If you have more time get the direct/general support manuals too. These have a wealth of info for you. Addressing your brake issue, it is likely that the airpack has air in it or the shoes are out of adjustment. You obviously know where the master cylinder is, follow brake lines from there so you can familiariaze yourself with your trucks brakes. If you want a looksee at a cheap way to bleed brakes check out my Brake Bleeder

emr

RE: brakes

as for a leaky wheel cylinder leaking all over NOT true all the time, they definitely weep also,and thats all it takes, i have experienced the exact same problem with them weeping, as for out of adjustment . that will be a low spongy peddle and pumping wont do alot for that some but not alot he says hes got it big time,, been there done that, and as for adjusting that should be done to everybodys truck when they get em in my opinion, BUT as long as they follow the correct procedure, a MAJOR adjustment should be followed up by a minor adjustment after 3000 miles and then a major after that again about another 3000 miles. and he has not been under there inspecting/looking at them according to the first post, they can go unoticed for a long time, i say pulling the wheels is the first thing to do for me, and a proper major adjustment will hold up just fine .Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks