• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes, or lack of......

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey guys, I need some help. One of the M35's I drove back from Santa Fe on monday has bad brakes. I went through the unit maintenance pub, and bled the brakes using the manual method, but I still have the same condition, first pump, the pedal goes down even with the accelerator, second, third its at the top with no bleed down.....the only thing I can see that doesn't look right is the fluid in the Master cylinder looks milky, but I've put a whole, 32oz, bottle of fluid through the system.

I'm kinda stumped, anyone have any thoughts, advice?

Ed

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
First I'd ask if the brakes are adjusted properly?

The manual says that you only adjust the top for maintenance. The bottom is only adjusted when new shoes are installed. Clearance is .020" at the bottom and .010" at the top (I think).

sweetk30

i know most mill trucks use silicone based fluid.

are you by chance using std automotive dot 3 or dot 4?

dot 5 is silicone based.

this is all i can think of off the top of my head. and i have never touched a 2.5 ton system. but i do know thay run diffrent fluid. and are by no way compatible. it will mess up stuff if mixed.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Brakes, or lack of......

CCATLETT1984 said:
sounds like your getting air into the system, prolly an issue within the airpak.
That seems likely, this truck sounds different from all the others when you depress the brake pedal and let off, not the normal airbrake sound, can't really describe it though, is it possible for the AIR over hydraulic to bleed into the hydraulic side? I'm using Valvoline dot 4/5 synthetic fluid.

sweetk30

hell that dont mean much to me. valvoline uses the hell out of syn power these days.

if it dont say dot 5 dont use it.

you will want to get that stuff out asap as mixing them will cause hell on seals and pistion seals.

area52

Just to squash the "don't mix DOT 3 with 5 " rumor -

there is no problem mixing the two - one absorbs water(DOT 3) and one doesn't. Your seals will be fine with either or both mixed together. There is a post on here some where by D.Doyle I believe in which he had referenced a report by the military stating this information.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
area52 said:
Just to squash the "don't mix DOT 3 with 5 " rumor -

there is no problem mixing the two - one absorbs water(DOT 3) and one doesn't. Your seals will be fine with either or both mixed together. There is a post on here some where by D.Doyle I believe in which he had referenced a report by the military stating this information.
Thanks Wade, I was just gonna let it go...being as how it sez on the label compatible with all.....

And again, sorry about the towbar thing in Hesperia, my whole trip went to heck getting that 1009....

Ed

CCATLETT1984

FYI, I had a wonderfull GOO form in my MC on the m1008 when some dot3 got mixed in, two 2qts of dot5 to flush it all out. I'd advise flushing with alcohol just ot be on the safe side. and you can get gallons of dot5 rather cheap from one of the members on here. like $30 a gallon.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
CCATLETT1984 said:
FYI, I had a wonderfull GOO form in my MC on the m1008 when some dot3 got mixed in, two 2qts of dot5 to flush it all out. I'd advise flushing with alcohol just ot be on the safe side. and you can get gallons of dot5 rather cheap from one of the members on here. like $30 a gallon.

Well, the only thing I've added to the system since I picked up the truck was the stuff I showed in the pic, I think my problem is adjustment related, I pulled a hub last night because I thought I had a bad wheel cylinder, but it turned out to be a bad inner axle seal.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I second the brake shoe adjustment. They are probably automatic adjusting brakes. Drive in reverse and then apply the brakes. Do this several times to adjust the brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks