• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brakes wont release on my deuce!

spcsalt

When I apply the brakes in my duece they stay locked up. I have to un screw a brake line to releive the pressure so it will roll again. I put a new master, bled the brakes and dismanteled the air ram and appears to work ok. One thing that my master does not have is a vent tube comming from the fill cap that I have been reading about. Not sure what the cause is. Any suggestions? It is a 1965 kaiser model.

Westech

CPL
could be a collapsed rubber line. that will allow the fluid to go to the wheel cylinders but not return. crack the lines working your way from the master to the wheel cylinders and when the brakes release that will tell you where to start looking.

FreightTrain

Banned
yep,I would replace all the rubber hoses.You got one somewhere that has a flap come loose inside and is acting like a check valve.The rubber has become de-Laminated like a bad retread.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other that a rubber hose, it can only be the air pack or blocked compensating port in the master. Check to make sure the pedal has free play, if it doesn't, that port might be blocked. Another thought, the next time it locks up, bleed off air at the left rear glad hand. If that releases the brakes, it's the air pack for sure.

spcsalt

Thank you guys. I will have achnce to look at it tommorrow. i will keep you posted. When the brakes lock up, so does the pedal. Is the air pack worth rebuilding, or should i get a new one id it is the probem?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When it happened to me, it was the air pack. It was at a stop sign - had to use low range to get off the road. That is a neat trick, bleeding off the air with the left glad hand.

I have rebuild hydro-vacs, but they are hard to find Kits for. I replaced the whole unit.

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks