• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brand new to SS and xm 211

Uneasy rider

hello all, I just bought and drove home (60 miles uphill avg. 4-5 mpg!) a cherry 1954 xm 211
It seems like it is all original exept for the dump bed and a recent paint job that emulates the original (white star on door, numbers on the hood)
It is too long for what I plan to use it for and I want to bob it and run super singles ( my brother has a few sets off of amg 5 ton), any info/tips
Also, the prev. owner was unsure what fluid to run in the auto trans. it seems to shift a little inconsistant, could be operator error, almost 55 yr old technology or little bit of both. Any help would be appreciated.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cherry 211

Welcome to the green World surrounded by purists, non-purists and general MV lovers.

Here's a start on the trani question.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/early-deuce/17023-hydramatic-heaven.html
Posted by a gentleman with a 1000 Tons of experience.

I'm thinkin' the mods will put your thread into the 'early deuce' section where 'early deuce' experience over fills thy cup. You will also expect some re-direction on any idea of bobbing a "CHERRY XM-211". Listen to it, smile and think about joining the list of a very few that have saved these trucks. You are riding a very rare piece of history and just the mention of cutting it up has purists reaching into their pocket to try and buy you out of your idea and set you up with a more reliable, more current drive train configuration. I am one, however I'll also battle to allow you to the right to your opinion.....so keep the ideas flowing. If you read through the "the early deuce" section and in the 'contemplating bobber' thread you'll find a vid for a bobbed g749 truck.

I need pictures, they calm me down and take away the shakes.

These trucks are like a helicopter......after 50 years. One hour of running to four hours of repair and maintenance. Thinkin' 130 hp, an engine that has more places to leak then seaworld, a trani that may be the best in the World and last a long time or collapse tomorrow. Seals, bearings, races, airpaks, brakes, brake lines, steering linkages and other vital components can be a challenge to find......and will probably need replacing.

Nope, you're better off just drivin' it to San Diego and leaving it for me drive when I go there to visit. :D

Check out MilitaryTrucks.ca - Welcome! for more data...... and TM reading.

Good Luck on the project, whatever you decide. You post pics now.