• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brand new to this and wanted some electrical feedback

kawbob1978

HI, I am the part proud owner of a retired 1976 M-886 DMAT ambulance :-D. My friend works at the hospital where they were getting rid of a few of there vehicles. I have searched for some answers and have a lot of questions now. It seems to have a spark, the gas is fresh via a line from a gas can to the fuel pump. Whats in the tank is old old. I have checked all they fuses and they appear good, the connections could probably use a good cleaning. Which is something I have read in the other articles on here about these vehicles. I haven't yet, but need to replace some of the old wiring to the battery and clean all the grounds up. The problem is I can't get the engine to catch. It turns over, not fast, but it does. The battery we have is probably bad and I'm trying to jump it off my 4Runner. It still won't start though. I was just curious if anybody had a idea of other things to try. I haven't had a lot of time to work on it, as it is still out at the hospital and they are fine with me working on it there. I need to get some pictures of it here for you all to see. We bought it for a steal. It has 125,000 miles on it, the body is in pretty decent shape. Thanks for any and all help!! -Bobby

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on your buy! I would strongly suggest getting a new battery in it with clean terminals and other connections. With a weak battery in it, and what I assume is a rather small battery in your 4 runner trying to bring up the larger bad battery, you probably are not getting enough juice to the starter motor. This creates a very high amp draw, which results in weak spark and low crank speed.
With the air cleaner off, the choke butterfly held open, move the accelerator linkage aggressively and note if you can see fuel sprayed into the carb. If not, you have not gotten fuel to the carb yet. Carefully remove the fuel line at the carb, and screw out the fitting in the carb body. Remove it carefully so you do not lose the needle valve in it. Check for fuel, and be sure the needle valve moves freely in the fitting. Reassemble all and crank for a while and check for fuel again. You can also pour about 1/4 cup of fuel down the carb, put the air cleaner back on, and crank it. It should run for a short time, or keep running. Sometimes this method helps get the fuel pump valves wet down and working again. You can do this several times until hopefully it runs. ALWAYS put the air cleaner on to prevent possible fire after priming it.
Regards Marti

kawbob1978

Hi Thanks alot, I really need a new battery. I do see gas spraying into the carb when the throttle is opened. I will check out the needle valve and see how that looks. I need to find the time to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Thanks for your help! -Bobby:-D

Ps, I've looked a couple places for batteries, and they dont seem as big as the battery tray. Would it be alright to get a bigger battery with the same recommended cranking amps and everything? or can I get something a bit bigger with even more cranking amps.

Last edited:

N1265

My battery is small, and it has worked perfectly for the last 4 years. Just make sure you get the cranking amps you need and you should be all right.

A bigger battery should not hurt you either.....

Last edited: