• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brass shear pin?

ODdave

I did a quick search and didnt come up with an answer for this although i am shure it has been covered.

What about using 360 Brass as opposed to the 2024-t351 aluminum as a shear pin for the duece winches? I can not find ANY 2024 in 9/32 but do have access to brass. Thoughts please.

C360 Machining BrassMinimum PropertiesUltimate Tensile Strength, psi58,000Yield Strength, psi45,000Elongation25%Rockwell HardnessB78
2024-T3 AluminumMinimum PropertiesUltimate Tensile Strength, psi70,000Yield Strength, psi50,000Brinell Hardness120Rockwell HardnessB75

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did include pins made out of different brass "sources" in my testing, here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/7948-winch-shear-pins-13.html

... and I am using 8mm home-made brass pins myself...

BUT.... no clue what alloy and properties those were/are.
All I can say is that in general, at equal diameter, brass was not as strong as the original GI pins, but coming fairly close.

Your specs for that 360 alloy would indicate a reduced shear strenght for sure, possibly 15 to 20% less?

G.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it's a bit of work, but not that much. if i were ever to have a winch again, i would use a hydraulic pump and motor in place of the driveshaft. with a 3way valve, a pressure regulator and a pressure gauge, you would have full control including most important, knowing how hard you were pulling. oh, and no pins to ever shear just when it was most inconvient.

tom