• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brazed rocker

Deuceswild

wilco said:
While setting my valves I came acroust several brazed rockers. Is this common?
LDT465 D&D 1992 rebuild
I don't think so,, Do a search on this subject, I kmow Clinto did have to replace a freeze - expansion plug on one of the cyl. heads on his engine and took some really good pics of the process, compare those rocker arm pics with yours, but to me the ones shown in your pics look like they really need to be removed from service.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Brazed rocker

Elwenil said:
Why is it there? I looks as if it's restricting oil to the valve tip.
Yes it is! Notice no oil in the retainer on that cylinder? The push tubes and valve/rocker lever tips get oil from the oil hole in the center of the lever and it runs down over the component to be oiled. I'd replace it or as many that are like that.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Deuceswild said:
wilco said:
While setting my valves I came acroust several brazed rockers. Is this common?
LDT465 D&D 1992 rebuild
I don't think so,, Do a search on this subject, I kmow Clinto did have to replace a freeze - expansion plug on one of the cyl. heads on his engine and took some really good pics of the process, compare those rocker arm pics with yours, but to me the ones shown in your pics look like they really need to be removed from service.
Thanks for the plug, DW.

I went and looked at all my pics ( http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/clinto1/M35 Head Gasket Swap/?start=all )

And unfortunately, I didn't have a good pic of the rockers from the top. But I think I would have noticed that.

I have to say, I don't like it. I'd swap that rocker.

And those lockwashers aren't right, I've never seen a lockwasher on a head/main bolt. A flat washer sure, a lock washer? Nope, that's what torque specs are for.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the years, I have seen some really, really cobbled repairs/fixes on military equipment. The above is in the "ho-hum" category. Comment: When that engine is running, its an "oil atmosphere" in there. So I wouldn't be too concerned about the brass being in the way. But, it looks like the hardened wear tip that does the pushing to open the valve, was the object of the repair. In some sheet metal repairs/applications, brass is good. However it does not stand vibration well. I would replace it when I could. It would be real easy - maybe possible without even disturbing the rocker assembly hold-down cap screws (with the lock washers). They are not head bolts. I'd replace the lock washers with hardened ones, if they are sued else where, and re-torque everything, including the head.

Good your setting the tappets, few do that anymore, in a tune up. I like my engines, 100%!

Lee in Alaska

Jake0147

I wouldn't take a stand on the oiling issue. I can see it restricting "flow" via the troth, but I also agree with the above "oil atmosphere". I dunno how scared I'd be of that. I don't like braising for that type of movement, stress, general abuse however. I'd change it on a bad feeling, but again I can't say for sure.

As for the lock washers, those bother me. Bad environment for a lock washer for sure. They should go. They're going to cause a failure, not prevent one. Flat washers, and torqued right, those bolts should stay forever. No washers and torqued right, those bolts should stay forever. Split locks and torqued right, those bolts are coming back out. (or more accurately, the washers are coming out from under the bolt heads) Maybe not tomorrow, maybe soon, or maybe not for fifty or a hundred thousand miles, but they don't belong there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks