• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing home my MTVR

abfisher1798

Update:

As I was leaving Commercial Engine Service, I noticed they has another MTVR in the bay being worked on, in about the same (lousy) condition as mine was. Karl mentioned the buyer wants to use it to deliver supplies (I think charity) to remote areas in Puerto Rico. Maybe someone from here?

Anyways, my long ride home. Average speed of 55mph with a max of 65mph. Truck tended to "wobble" at between 40 and 50mph, I couldn't tell if it was due to the road or the truck.

Speedometer twitched rapidly between 0 and 85mph for much of the drive until it finally just pegged at max and stayed there. I suspect there's an electrical problem(?).Any ideas?

Fuel gauge also pegged at max, but appeared to recover. Trans temp never moved a hair above 160, I think its bad also. Oil pressure held at about 50.

Engine break worked like a champ. A/C was nothing to brag about. The seat doesn't hold air for more than 15 mins so I was constantly filling it up during the ride. I'll check the obvious lines tomorrow.

I couldn't tell if the CTIS was working or not. While driving all the buttons on the right and the red run flat button steadily flashed the entire drive home while the 0-2 Tons bottom stayed constantly lit.

Only major complaint was my passenger side fender, the rear section attached to the cab, came loose on the freeway and hit the car behind me. If anyone has an extra fender or knows who does, please let me know.

It was a fun ride and I would do it again. It was a trip to be looking down at the semi truck drivers! This rig is bigger than I expected and pleasantly so.

Navy dude

Can't add much help. I just wanted to chime in because I have had the same issue with speedo. It starts out accurate but soon registers twice the actual speed until it pegs out. Also registers twice the actual miles traveled! I have tried cleaning the connection underneath at the sending unit, seems slightly better but still eventually becomes inaccurate. I did buy an aftermarket sending unit that looks like will install correctly to the existing hole but will have to splice the wires since the connection is not compatible. I haven't done much because of the cold but will start some maintenance with the coming warm weather. I'll report back if it fixes the problem.

abfisher1798

Can't add much help. I just wanted to chime in because I have had the same issue with speedo. It starts out accurate but soon registers twice the actual speed until it pegs out. Also registers twice the actual miles traveled! I have tried cleaning the connection underneath at the sending unit, seems slightly better but still eventually becomes inaccurate. I did buy an aftermarket sending unit that looks like will install correctly to the existing hole but will have to splice the wires since the connection is not compatible. I haven't done much because of the cold but will start some maintenance with the coming warm weather. I'll report back if it fixes the problem.
Thanks for the input. Good to know I’m the only one with that issue. You definitely have the same issue, including the odometer logging double miles.
I’ll keep an eye put for your update.
Thanks!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I can tell you now from what you say the oil pressure is not correct, these are low pressure high volume oil systems on these trucks, and CTIS is non-op. I’d suggest going through your TIM diagnostics group behind your passenger side dash. Here’s a small video on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same issue with my passenger fender, well, not hitting a car, just coming off. I used a fiberglass repair kit to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the input. Good to know I’m the only one with that issue. You definitely have the same issue, including the odometer logging double miles.
I’ll keep an eye put for your update.
Thanks!
Me thinks that would be in the trouble shooting TM

abfisher1798

I can tell you now from what you say the oil pressure is not correct, these are low pressure high volume oil systems on these trucks, and CTIS is non-op. I’d suggest going through your TIM diagnostics group behind your passenger side dash. Here’s a small video on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very helpful. Thanks!

abfisher1798

Very helpful. Thanks!
Now that I've discovered the TIM, I have some questions...

The following items came up on screen:

Fuel Return Sender
Shorted Low

Fuel Supply Sender
Shorted Low

Mod. Vale Axle
1 left Active
Current below norms or open circuit

SAE J1939
Data link Active
Data intermittent, erratic or incorrect

I'd love to get my hands on a TM.

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks