• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broadway Title question

rfischba1

I've been tring to title a M35A2 I bought from a guy named Bob Bownam last March, he gave me a hand wirtten bill of sale and re assigned his SF 97 over to me. MD DMV will NOT accept this, and required a vehicle title. My question: Has anyone obtained a MV title from Broadway, will MD DMV accept this title, and what does Broadway charge?
Thanks,
Randy Fischbach
Ft. Meade , MD

area52

I don't have any experience with Broadway but could you contact Bob and see if he could get it titled for you? I haven't heard anything positive about Broadway but your milage may vary.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used their services for my -725. Works for me in VA, not sure about MD. Only works for vehicles 1974 and older. Cost is about $150 for a light duty truck, bigger trucks are different. Here's how it works. Forget all about what you have in your hand. No bill of sale, bill of sale, doesn't matter. Fill out the paperwork with Broadway, and you "sell" it to them on paper. They process everything in Alabama (where they are, about 3 month wait), and send you back a completely legal Alabama dealer-issued bill of sale. See, in Alabama, state law says that vehicles older than 1974 don't need a title to sell, only a bill of sale. They provide all the necessary paperwork, and "sell" the vehicle back to you. Take the paperwork to most states' DMVs, and they will generate a new state-issued title for you on the spot, or mail it to you. Registration and tags are provided along with the processing. Real simple, once you see how it works.

This is how it worked for me in VA. May work different for you.

ida34

Do a search for this titling vehicles and you will see my last 55 rants on the subject. I am too tired to start in again.

houdel

A lot of states will not accept a Broadway title. Try to find a SS member in GA. My understanding is that GA will (or at used to) title a vehicle with a bill of sale signed by Mickey Mouse. Once your surrogate gets a GA title for you it will be a piece of cake to re-title your deuce in MD. May cost you a little more in sales tax, but still cheaper and better than Broadway.

gasser

houdel, that is not 100% correct anymore.

GA will only title a vehicle if at the time of registration was presented with a Title (from another state, etc). If the vehicle is older than 1986, you can register the vehicle without a title. Vehicles older than 1986 can be legally sold and owned without a title. However, to get a GA title, you basically need to either present another states Title or do the SF-97/Reassignment (the latter I have done twice with no issues).

Caveat - vehicle can't be already registered in GA. Obviously doesn't apply to you rfischba1 since your deuce was never registered in GA before.

And to that end, I don't have any experience with Broadway and the GA DMV.

HTH,

-graham

Ugg013

Chuck:

As to NOT force you to rehash what you already wrote MANY times, I did do the search and read what you posted. That in itself was no east feat, locating it all. Now I am a bit more confused. So, the SF97 is NOT a title? Hmmm, because GL told me it was.

At this point in time I have still NOT transfered it for my state's title, but for one, I haven't decided which route to go (HMV or commercial), and I also don't have the funds. I DO have the Frog up for sale, but don't want to screw anyone. I was just planing on signing over the SF97.

Here in Illinoisssssssss, your lucky if ya find someone at the DMV that has ANY knowledge of the laws, unless ya go to the criminal section. If ya ask em anything outa the norm, they're lost and give ya a glassy eyed stare, say they'll find someone that knows, and disappear for the rest of the day. Personally, I don't have the time or energy to wait ALL day for help only to be told to come back another day.

Later
Ugg 8)

m139h2otruck

In NH we don't need a title for anything on 2 axles older than 15 years, or for 3 axle vehicles less than 18,000# older than the stated 15 years. The VIN has to be verified by an inspection station, a licensed auto dealer or a law enforcement officer (has to physically look at the tags) and you need a bill of sale (hand written in this case). The problem we had with the 5 ton water truck was the 18,000# three axle limit, so I just set it at 18,000 and they gave me a set of plates!! This was OK in the short term, but if I got stopped and weighed, the truck empty must be close to 25,000# and I would need to haul it away by low-bed (expensive).

A good friend of mine, the auto dealer who verified the VIN, researched the title problem, and found that NH has a shortcut to titles for Antique Vehicles, (those over 25 years old). A one page affidavit filled out by the owner with the verification paper (again) notarized and you get a title!! Going to try this in April when the registration comes up.

ida34

The SF-97 is a document used by the federal government to let the states know that the vehicle was legally released form government service. It is like a statement of origin for a trailer. The federal vehicles have never been titled and the SF-97 explains why a 1969 Kaiser Jeep has never been titled or registered. It is not a title. When you get a new trailer it is accompanied by a statement of origin which gives all the information to get a new title and explains why there was no title to begin with. As I understand it, new cars do not have a title until it is purchased but the dealer takes care of the registration and title for you so you never see the process. Getting the vehicle form the government is the same process as the new car but the government is not taking care of the title. In states that require a title it is not legal to sell a vehicle without the seller providing a title to the new owner. Most of the time GL is breaking the law but they have not been taken to task on it yet. I think this is the reason they reversed the decision to not provide the SF-97. They are a registered dealer in FL and as such must provide a title in FL or they would have trouble with their dealer license.
I am pretty sure you cannot transfer an SF-97. GL gets the SF-97 in their name then provides a letter giving you a special power of attorney to take care of the titling and registration for them. With out the letter you have nothing but a document saying the government sold the truck to GL. The letter is the key you must have. Titles have dealer reassignments but they are only for transfer between licensed dealers. There is an exemption so that dealers do not have to re-title when they transfer vehicles between themselves but anytime a vehicle is transfered to a private person the new title must be obtained. If you try to alter any title or certificate of origin it will void that document. I had a kid sell me a motorcycle and instead of getting the new title he lined out his name and put mine next to his. This voided the title and I had to track down the previous owner who was the legal owner by the paper work. I then had to have him fill out a special power of attorney so that I could get a new title and transfer it to my name. The moral is do not mess with the SF-97. Most likely the only way you can legally transfer it is to get it titled in your name. Right now the truck is still the property of GL on paper until you get a title in your name.

Call the state headquarters for your state titling authority and have them give you the page and paragraph covering what you want to do so that you can school the local folks if they have problems understanding. Most states have a bonded title procedure which involves a vin inspection by Law Enforcement type person.

Ugg013

Chuck:

Thanks for your imput. [thumbzup] I too have dealt with deciphering laws into plain English aua , and have worked several fraud cases. Just goes to show ya there's always something new to learn. It makes perfect sense about the car theft rings, something I never really gave much thought to. Well, it looks like I'll go with the antique title for the Frog. If the new owner wants to use it commecially, it'll be his trouble.

Later
Ugg 8)

ida34

The title is the title. The registration tells whether it is to be used as an antique vehicle or a commercial vehicle. The title should be the same no matter what. Only the registration and plates change. The new owner can register it anyway he wants. He doe not have to stick to an antique vehicle registration because you had it registered that way. It is easy to confuse the two but title and registration are too different beasts connected at the hip. My truck is registered as a historical vehicle but if I wanted to register it as a regular truck in it weight class I could and the title would not change at all.

Hope this helps.
Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks