• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BROKE Glow Plug Help

Rebelpride

Ok, I have the injector AND glow plug removed. I have fished around with a magnet and have not found it. It is the rear cylinder on the passenger side, and I am not seeing a way to get my head, eyes, or a flashlight down there to see into the cylinder.

How big are the holes in the percombustion chamber? Are they big enough for the glow plug to fall thru?

Below are 2 pics of the plug that I replaced, the end is black which makes me think that is has been this way for awhile. And my pop wonders if a GI removed the broke piece and reinstalled the plug b/c it was being turned in.

Cell is 980-622-3074

JAsher45

no pics. well the peices MAY be small enough to fall through the pre cup opening is about 1/4 X1/8 slot.... did the plug look broke when you took it out or was it melted... how swollen was it ?... if the end of the plug was carbon fouled with no signs that it was broke may be a good sign ... sounds liek you need a flexable bore scope to look deep in there.... about the only other way to be sure is pulling the head off.. 3 hours of work and $100 in new head bolts and gaskets..

Westech

CPL
RE: Pictures

ok here is a idea too... make sure to vac out the intake and the cylinder. do everything you can to make sure there is nothing in there. You know if might have broke off long time ago and is already gone. By the looks of that end it might have been broke for a while. Looks like where its broke off is dark with carbon and that only happen if the truck was running after it broke off.

JAsher45

Re: RE: Pictures

Westech said:
By the looks of that end it might have been broke for a while. Looks like where its broke off is dark with carbon and that only happen if the truck was running after it broke off.
I agree with westech on this situation. I have also seen this on brand new engines on the dyno, even when the glow plugs are not used at all. the cause of the glow plugs to disapear on my end at work was from a bad injectors sticking or leaking... turning into flame throwers in the precombustion chamber.. eating the glow plug

Rebelpride

GP

I used a magnet and a necked down vaccum. Also noticed the carbon on the end, so I am going to put everything back and drive it. I figure that it has been broke for awhile.

costin51

glow plug

With 10 year experience as a diesel mechanic in the US Army it looks to me like you have precombustion in the pre chamber or some DS in the motor pull instaled an old one. It is also possible that your module is keeping that one plug on too long Check voltage and timing after the dash light goes out.You can also turn the engine in short burst or by hend and have a helper look for the dam think. If your plug has build up on the end of it more than likely you do not have any leftover parts in your engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks