• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BROKEN!! do I really want to keep my M1009 anymore

JohnFire

Do I really want to keep putting money into my M1009 anymore. Over the years I have put multiple starters in it, a turbo, 1 rear axle now going to be 2, seals, u joints, injector pump, and other things. The body is rusting and needs work. It has leaks here and there, oil coolant etc. once it is down to the 30's it won't start at all most times. Now the Blasted rear axle just went on it. ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Anyone else ever have this debate. I have owned this truck for 9 going on 10 years.

maritimer

well its a 20 somthing year old vehicle you can either keep sinking money int oit when it needs repairs, or buy another one thats in better shape and use your original as a spare parts truck :)
personally with mine its almost impossible to find one up here and when i can there in the 6-7K range and still need some work so i keep sinking money into it to keep it going till i can afford to bring up a duece to build int oa 4 door to use as a DD

BobM

It is a personal decision of course. I had to decide the same on my old 9C1 Caprice. I finally let 'er go, but I still miss her. I'll bet you will be the same. Even if you get one like it. The first one is always the one you remember.;-)

Bobert

You know that as soon as you sell it, it won't have anymore problems. Every time I fix something on mine something else goes bad within 1-2 months.

It must be the diesel and 4x4 options, because my 81 2x4 gas never seems to have problems.

I thought eventually all the parts would be replaced, but after 10 years yours is still doing it maybe you should try a new one. You might miss it if you sell it.

JohnFire

Thanks OldChev, lol.

Well the truck is alot of fun. It is a tough decision cause insurance is low on an old truck like this and at this point I would get a little car even though I like having a truck and have had them for years. But a car would cost alot more if I want a nice reliable one that gets good milage. Currently I have a 65 mile one way commute to work. Other than starter problems that went away when I converted to 12V. It has been fairly reliable. The memories and the ability to do whatever I want to it is why I have kept it this long. It has been in more countries than most people. Germany(where I bought it), Netherlands, Belgium, france, Luxembourg, Leichtenstein, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. If I could get it to start in the cold with no problems, and run it consistantly for another 2 years with no major problems I would be happy.

mangus580

well why dont we diagnose your cold start issue then?

when was the last time you put in new glow plugs?

Are you running manual or controller?

details!

JohnFire

Ok cold start issue. operating with glow controller, 12v system, ac60 glow plugs about about 1 1/2 years old, 2 optima yellow top group 31 batteries 1125CA or 950CCA 1 year old. 2 redtops in the rear that can be turned on for a jumpstart(these are isolated with a battery on/off switch). Acts like the batteries are low when really cold. When a meter is put on in between the batteries and the truck, there is only a couple milliamp draw from the stereo memory power. I don't know if there is some other draw on the system that only occurs when it gets below a certain temp. I am using the passenger alternator. The battery cables to the firewall are 2/0 welding wire. Starter is 2 1/2years old gear reduction.

First time the axle went out was while I was in Germany. I had just replaced the axle seals and the 2 bolts that hold the c clip in backed out and shreaded the gears a few months later. I consider that my fault from doing the axle seals. This time I was pulling out of the driveway when after 2 feet there was a big bang. I stopped walked around the truck didn't see anything so I put it in reverse backed up a foot, after that worked, placed it in drive came out of the driveway and there was no power. Put it in reverse and nothing. The floor jack I pulled out of the house didn't work. The hubs didn't want to lock and I was not happy. The guys from the firehouse stopped by with the M1008 and pulled me back out of the middle of the road. The hubs are now locked and if I need to move it a little I can in 4 high.

Pics will come tommorrow after I get to pull some of them up.

mangus580

I would suggest running down through the glow plug troubleshooting in the WIKI, and verify your system is working. Just because your plugs are 1.5 years old, doesnt mean they are still good.

I am also curious about your wiring layout. Any chance you can describe it better?

Also... was it you that was commenting on using straight 30w oil in their truck? In cold temps, you will have a very hard time with cranking speed. I run 15w40 synthetic in my trucks here, and my 1009 started at 12° yesterday morning, and you wouldnt have known it. Oil viscosity makes a MAJOR difference in cranking speed when its cold.

dependable

If it is rotting out and needs a lot of work, and you like your 1009, well if it was me, I;d get a clean one for 2-4$k and keep on drivin. saving the parts truck if you have room, or strip key parts and let it go. Time is worth a lot, and I,ve wasted a lot of mine trying to save rust.

JohnFire

The funny thing Mike is that it was going in for an oil change next week and would have been changed to Rotella 15w40. For years I had always followed the Lube order on which oil viscosity to use. Checking the passenger glow plugs is a pain in the you know what with the turbo, cause you now have to pull the pipes to get into them.

I had picked up a Miller140 so I could learn to do the body panels myself and hopefully save some money. My friend that does body work hasn't had time to show me how and now it is too cold to do this outside.

mangus580

Trust me.. I know all about turbos & glow plugs... I have 2 in the burb I cant get to now that I put the 4" exhaust on.

Do the oil change... I think you will be in for a big surprise....

jj

And if your axle is bad, Coleman's still lists the ten bolts on there website. I just opened the crate on the one i bought two years ago. I was expecting an overhauled/rebuilt axle, nah, brand new. NO rust in the welded on tabs that hold the brakelines. And complete from drum to drum, except for lug nuts. Go west on 209 man, Klinger Road, i think, about two miles or so east of Millersburg. You can't buy the bearings and a ring and pinion set for what i paid in '06.