• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken glow plug in cylinder, How scr345ed am I?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around to the last two glow plugs, the last one of course drivers side rear cylinder was the worst. I had 4 out of 8 swollen and thankfully I ordered the JJ&A glow plug tool, but it was still a nightmare being a contortionist.

Anyway, I get the last one out and the tool and glowplug fall to the ground under the humvee. Do I bother to look? No I put the last new glow plug in and figure I'll get the wrench and the tool and glowplug after I start and move the vehicle. Starts in about 5-6 seconds of cranking, just enjoying it idling, then all of a sudden knocking like crazy! I shut it off thinking it has to do with the glow plug I just removed, sure enough, a good 1/4 inch or more is missing from the plug. What is the best way to get this out of the cylinder, do I have to remove the head for retrieval?

Attachments

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that if you remove the injector you can retrieve the piece with a
rod magnet. I have not done this myself.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I had one broken in the last cylinder on the drivers side a couple years ago.I removed the injector and still couldn't get it out,Even with a magnet .It was swollen to bad.I ended up selling it that way..

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most definitely fell into the cylinder. I don't recommend this, but I read online to let it get mashed as it's not a hardened piece. I started it up again and i felt and saw the engine lag and smoke like the piece was caught in between the exhaust valve and seat for a few seconds then the knocking disappeared completely. I do believe the piece made it past into the exhaust. Wife and me rode for over an hour without the knocking again. I tried to load the video I took of the pounding but it says invalid format or something, from my S5.

Mike82ndABN

I had a couple stuck, undid the injectors to get the piece out, when i started it back up it knocked and i thought i was screwed. Turns out the injectors had air in them and once i cleared it the knocking went away. It was the worst knocking sound imaginable, I thought I had trashed the motor.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a couple stuck, undid the injectors to get the piece out, when i started it back up it knocked and i thought i was screwed. Turns out the injectors had air in them and once i cleared it the knocking went away. It was the worst knocking sound imaginable, I thought I had trashed the motor.
Understood, but I didn't do anything besides remove the glow plug. It definitely fell into the cylinder. We drove for a good 45 minutes, so the tip either was expelled or it's melded into the piston or head :) Hopefully right out the exhaust is what I'm thinking. I could feel it and see it like the exhaust valve was stuck for a moment. I wonder how the piston and valves, head look, but my wife said it ran fine and had the same power.

It might have passed out. I had two break off and its bits were in the muffler when I dropped the exhaust down. Its only when the pressed in prechambers come loose and are rattling around that you know your screwed. Thats why you NEVER use STARTING FLUID !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks