• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

broken winch

DeuceNewb

I found a deuce for sale, it was a formerly owned by a fire dpt that didn't know how to operate it. They spooled the winch out, then respooled it and when it got to the end realized that nobody was in the cab and it winched itself tight until something broke and the motor of the truck stalled. What could be broken and is it worth fixing? My plan was to buy the truck for the winch and water fording kit to put onto mine, and then try to sell the truck for close to what I paid for it, but i'm afraid that since the winch is dead it's not worth it and may be impossible to fix. Does anyone know how to fix it or what may have broken from said situation?

maritimer

look at the shear pins, dont know much about dueces but i do know that they are designed to break before the winch itself breaks in situations like that, if it is in fact the shear pins i think its onyl a few dollars to get new ones and a couple of hours to change them

scooter01922

If it stalled the engine then i bet some moron popped a bolt in the winch in place of the shear pin. No telling what broke without looking at it at that point.

fasttruck

Shear pin for m35 is at front of winch driveshaft where it attaches to input shaft on winch.This is under radiator on driver's side. Pin breaks into three pieces when it fails and center piece will be stuck in winch input shaft. A hammer and punch will be required to drive this piece out which is why those tools are included on the BII list for a truck equipped with a winch.

If winch is wound up tight or pin is oriented such as to make driving it out a problem; the shaft can be turned with a slack jaw wrench to get a better position. Use correct shear pin and cotter pin to retain same when reassembling.

Last edited:

jwaller

if you want to sell the fording equipment pm me or if you want to sell the truck as a whole let me know.

sounds like your winch is toast but you can still get a lot of good parts you need for the conversion. like the pto all the shifter linkage and the driveshafts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks