• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Build Ideas from a Van Life Site

Third From Texas

I'll give these guys credit, they did a nice job with the info. The site is a little rough to surf (I'd have never seen these if not for catching a link in a random search for something). While it's a smaller vanlife application, much of what they present can be applied to larger builds. Very thorough with presenting links to ALL the bits used (and I tossed some bits in my Amazon cart as a result). My build is small compared to many and I surf van life builds for ideas all the time.

Most of the build info is under the "Van Conversion" dropdown menu.

Even with the site menus a bit foggy (IMO) the specific info on the sub-pages is a good read.

Despite having to dig a bit to find what all is there, it's a great site for a first-time builder. IMO, one of the best I've stumbled across...

Last edited:

coachgeo

I'll give these guys credit, they did a nice job with the info. ...

I sent him a message about the US propane codes like he asked .... they are part of manufacture codes.... the difference US folk need to know that while it must be vented as he mentioned... believe the access has to be outside..... not inside like his... and there can be ZERO air exchange between cabinet where tank is stored and occupant/living space air. (this likely why outside access door required in US)

Third From Texas

I sent him a message about the US propane codes like he asked .... they are part of manufacture codes.... the difference US folk need to know that while it must be vented as he mentioned... believe the access has to be outside..... not inside like his... and there can be ZERO air exchange between cabinet where tank is stored and occupant/living space air. (this likely why outside access door required in US)
Those little water heaters are not meant for a permanent install. I looked at them but shied way due to the lack of external vent for heat dispersal. They have to be used in an open space, and yeah a gas leak would be big fun.

coachgeo

Those little water heaters are not meant for a permanent install. I looked at them but shied way due to the lack of external vent for heat dispersal. They have to be used in an open space, and yeah a gas leak would be big fun.
i didn't look that far... was water heater in same cabinet as the LP tank....... if so yeah... that is HUGE no no also. Another regulation is NO OPEN FLAME or spark able item in the vicinity

Third From Texas

i didn't look that far... was water heater in same cabinet as the LP tank....... if so yeah... that is HUGE no no also. Another regulation is NO OPEN FLAME or spark able item in the vicinity
They go into detail about making an internal vented locker for the tank. Not a way I would ever go but it's not all that uncommon in van builds. They even cover venting from altitude change and overfilling.

Again it's the concept of the site (parts list, and interactive features of the site, etc) that I appreciate more than any specific design. It's a very handy reference for a first-timer or small build.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks