• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building a bluetooth module for VIC-1

JCKnife

My intention here is to build a modular box that will connect to my VIC-1 system and act as a Bluetooth connection for iphone, so I can 1) conduct phone calls (via bluetooth) over my VIC-1 headset and 2) listen to music over the VIC-1 headset while driving (again the music coming from the phone via bluetooth)

I don't know much about this. I've seen the box Augi has been making that will plug in via audio cord, but I do want one that's bluetooth instead.

I'm not really asking for help, but I'm certainly open to input and advice! My electrical experience is very limited.

My intent is to use this thread to document my thoughts and progress, as well as resources / parts used.

For starters here is a connector interface that will allow the Bluetooth box to connect to the VIC-1: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M55181-8-0...cts/113895086740?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Here is a 24V bluetooth amplifier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XBF9GXW/ref=emc_b_5_i
(note: I'm not 100% sure this allows for phone calls to happen over bluetooth. It may just receive bluetooth audio and not send bluetooth audio back to the phone. I need to do some more research to determine that.

Other things I'll need:
1) a project box to mount and wire it in
2) a cable to connect it to the VIC-1
...that may be it? The unit should get 24v power from the radio jack of the VIC-1.

I'll have to pull up wiring diagrams out of the TM and use them to figure out which posts / holes to wire to. I've done very limited soldering but I do have a little hobby soldering tool.

JCKnife

I think this 18-pin connections.jpg

I think this is the image from the TM that will show me which wires are for what in the cable between the VIC-1 and the bluetooth board. Still a lot to figure out and test. Several audio wires here. I only see one "mic" but right above it is field telephone line. Maybe that's what I use for the mic? Lots to figure out.

papakb

JCKnife, I think the modules you've linked to are strictly audio amplifiers and are meant to output bluetooth audio only. Even though one of them states there's a transceiver module on it its a generic module and I don't think it's set for bi-directlional comms. As for your connector if you want to pm me a mailing address I'll send you one. The test board you've shown is a great aid to the signals. I've had one for years but have never used it!

Augi and I are playing with a bluetooth setup to link a headset/handset to the R/T wirelessly. That way you can get out of your truck with a headset on and not have to worry about unplugging anything.

JCKnife

Awfully nice of you, but I did go ahead and order that connector from Ebay that I linked above, plus the 2nd board, and a project box. We'll see, this will be a learn-as-I-go thing.

Are specialized connectors needed to attach wires to the 18-pin connector?

papakb

See if you can find an inexpensive CX-4723 cable and it'll have 2 of the male connectors that will mate with the female connector you bought. Otherwise my offer still stands for the male connector. The wires themselves just solder onto the studs in the back of the connectors.

CX-4723 cable.jpg

Last edited:

JCKnife

Thanks papakb I think that chart is going to be extremely helpful. When my board arrives I just need to figure out which wire connects to what.

JCKnife

My Bluetooth board finally arrived but it contained NO documentation. I'd like to do a little testing outside the deuce before I assemble everything. For that purpose, I'm thinking I'll buy a 24V AC adapter and use it as a power source. I see they are available in different amperage ratings. Can anyone tell me the approx amperage of the 24v power coming out of the VIC-1?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks