• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Built Cargo Cover

kennys@wi.rr.com

Can anyone explain the built cargo cover to me? It appears to be some 2x4's with sheet metal screwedto the side. Are they removable, stable worth having?

As always thank you.

emr

I say pics because there were some guard units that put 2 by 4 construction boxs that were wraped in aluminum that were used or were ready to be used for riot control, they were really just strong enough for things being thrown at them and to hold people also. I saw a few here in NJ and was told alot about them from a few older guys who were involved with them here.... yours was probably just a maintenence truck though...

Stan Leschert

We did up an MLVW that way, but we left the tarp on top, for water proofing. Our DA account did not entitle us a shop van, so we built our own. There was no way that we would leave HQ maintenece tools unsecured orund our troopers. Their motto was, "If it's shiny and cool, It's mine!"
That clapped out old beast saved our bacon more than a couple of times!

monkeythumbs

I bought a truck out of Ft. Campbell last year with a built cargo cover on it. They definately over built that thing, solid through and through, even had a shop light in it. Never got the light to work and had one big pile of Aluminum that a coworker came and picked up to recycle. It was insulated and secure, didn't need or want a built cover so off she came. It think the truck had an airconditioner in , aka like Larry the cable guy.

Attachments

Last edited:

63sierra10

When I was in the service we had a deuce and a 5 ton that we did that to in the maintenance section. The 5 ton had parts bins that doubled as beds and a cook range. Parts shelves that doubled as beds also. The deuce was our section chiefs, it had a queen size bed and a dresser in it. Both had the built cargo cover with the canvas over top for extra weather proofing. Both also used hemmt cargo bows for the extra height. Ahhhh GOOD TIMES.

Built cargo covers vary in construction. Most have the head rack missing, some have chopped up troop seats, some the seats are intact. Most that I have seen use standard bows with extended staves. Sheet metal (coorigated) is screwed to the bow assembly and both ends are framed then sheeted with plywood.
The local trucks like this are ENG CO trucks. Many are from Onalaska, some from Appleton.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you have ever had to load/unload cargo on a frequent basis in a regular decue with cargo cover you will know why they made "build ups".
It was back breaking and you banged your head on the bows often.....and in the summer it was hotternell under there.
I modified my deuce in Gemany since we did a ration run in it three days a week. It was the best labor I ever did and saved me a lot of back aches and head banging.

roscoe

Can anyone explain the built cargo cover to me? It appears to be some 2x4's with sheet metal screwedto the side. Are they removable, stable worth having?

As always thank you.
I bought two that had the built covers. Its not a stable structure that can be removed. Lots and lots and lots of screws and a few bolts tying the corrugated metal to plywood to the bows and troop seats with a generous amount of caulk tying it all to the truck bed. I was unable to save the troopseat on one of the trucks because of the number of rusty broken screws. One of the trucks did have lights - but they didn't work. They are kind of handy but awfully ugly.

Attachments

emr

I very common thing to do, A few years ago sort of on the recoed I was given a long wheel base (#( series truck, and built a super nice tool shed for the guard here, the front half had the storage tables with the lids that lift, and i put 2 bunks that fold up against the wall in front over each other, and under the second /lower bunk was a side by side bin for each soldier to have his/hers own storage, it was a 2 man set up for the parts guys here to go on a mission, a locking door in between also, in the back It was all open for a card table or such and high shelves all around, the back wall on each side of the door had specific tool rack for the pioneer set and a sledge and a few other items, easy to get and easy to put back, thats the key i think, and all outlets through out each room and had lights and switchs, and the power came out the front passenger side with a 100 ft of hard wired cable, and at the back boor a 50ft extension I call cables was hard wired into the last outlet so it had to be put back and could not grow legs. they loved it, I donated the time and material , worth every second...

Last edited: