• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper end markers for the winch deuce

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My winch truck has two openings, tubes if you will, on the outside edges of the front bumper. I believe these are the mounting posts for bumper end markers, so the driver knows where the edges of his truck are to allow for better turning in tight areas. However, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, and when trying to measure the hole, one measurement came up as 5/8 inch diameter, the other 3/4 inch diameter.

Anyone know the proper size of steel shaft meant for these mounting posts? Don't wanna waste my time buying some steel shafts that don't fit. The hardware store ain't exactly close, ya know.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have never seen those before on any of the trucks I have inspected, so this is probably not a standard item that anyone would be able to give you measurements for. You need a 6" machinists caliper. They are cheap these days, and allow you to measure the inside and outside of many shapes accurately. Most are digital these days too. This is my most used tool. I was thinking of something like this myself, but I was thinking of using fiberglass, or some sort of marker material from the hardware store. This way they are expendable.

Nice place to mount a flag too for parades.

ah1955

I think I read somewhere (M.V. mag. or Army motors ?) don't remember, that they were unit added for that personal look and a lot of guys used old gun barrels.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to eventually add them to my truck as a place to put flags. Per the flag code, the right front is the only correct place to display Old Glory on a vehicle.

Jones

Mike, Your 'flag holders' are probably a motor pool modification and as such were made from, and intended to carry, whatever they had on hand. Most round stock comes in 1/8" increments and so, finding "something that'll fit" is just going to take a little shopping around. As an additional source material; pipe is measured by it's inside diameter and wall thickness so if a piece of round stock doesn't give you the fit you need then maybe 1/4 or 3/8 pipe would work better. Lastly, the clearance flags were usually carried onboard but only installed if the area the driver was trying to navigate was close, AND they would have had a little slop so that they could be dropped into the holders and pulled out easily. A "machine-fit" would be a problem the first time the flag holder (piece of pipe) got hit.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made one fron 1/2 EMT,and clamps, beam clamps and I drilled a hole in the EMT and brazed a nut on it for a set screw.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks