• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper mounted vise

rustystud

I'm trying to decide where to mount my 100Ibs Wilton machinist vise. I totally disassembled it and cleaned and painted every thing. Then loaded it with grease so it can withstand being outside for the rest of it's life.
I'm thinking of putting it on the plate that is over my winch. The only problem is the plate is only 5/16" thick. I like the idea of it being almost centered on the bumper. That way it would not put undue weight on either side of the truck. I'm just not sure about that plate being strong enough. Of course it will not be in constant use, so that is something to consider. Any thoughts ?

002.jpg001.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I got a Wilton c2. After careful consideration, I decided to put it on my work bench. Too nice of a vise to have outside in the elements.

I do have another I got for MUCH less $$ and is still a quality vise. I have it mounted to a hitch so I can use it in multiple vehicles. When not in use, I can keep it in an ammo box to protect it. Front, rear, side-mounted(to work on things standing up/vertical), etc, your only limited by your imagination.

Just my thoughts.

rustystud

I got a Wilton c2. After careful consideration, I decided to put it on my work bench. Too nice of a vise to have outside in the elements.

I do have another I got for MUCH less $$ and is still a quality vise. I have it mounted to a hitch so I can use it in multiple vehicles. When not in use, I can keep it in an ammo box to protect it. Front, rear, side-mounted(to work on things standing up/vertical), etc, your only limited by your imagination.

Just my thoughts.
Now that's funny ! I also bought a brand new Wilton C2 vise last month, and decided it was to nice to keep outside on the deuce. So I cleaned up my old Wilton and am mounting it instead. I though about putting it on a hitch, but it is over 100 Ibs and I'm to old to keep moving this crazy thing all over the place. Just mount it and leave it.

oboyjohn

Hello Rusty,
Up here in the great White North, our mobile repair deuces had a front mounted vice on the passenger side of the front bumper. The vice itself has a swivel base and it was mounted on a `fold away` platform that when stowed, hid behind the bumper, protecting it from the elements and any impact damage. I have include 2 pictures showing the location but I am still looking for the actual vice and mount. We never had any issues with them mounted there and even had canvas covers for extra protection.

mlvw_mrt_10_of_33.jpgmlvw_mrt_20_of_33.jpg

amgeneral72

I recovered this Duce from Warner Robbins GA in 2009. It came with a vise passenger side front bumper. Figured it was a repair vehicle.
WP_20160304_15_49_08_Pro.jpgIMG_2101.PNGIMG_2102.PNG

Sorry these are the best pictures I have at the moment.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Here is where mine is mounted. And it has been used in 'anger' twice on re-splicing winch ropes. The vice swivels and rotates. It has two jaws. clamp and wire. there is a retaining clip that secures the bar behind the bumper.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

Hello Rusty,
Up here in the great White North, our mobile repair deuces had a front mounted vice on the passenger side of the front bumper. The vice itself has a swivel base and it was mounted on a `fold away` platform that when stowed, hid behind the bumper, protecting it from the elements and any impact damage. I have include 2 pictures showing the location but I am still looking for the actual vice and mount. We never had any issues with them mounted there and even had canvas covers for extra protection.

View attachment 715780View attachment 715781
Wow ! I Love that winch ! Is that a hydraulic one ? Was that original military ?

oboyjohn

Hi Rusty,

Yes that is a hydraulic winch and yes it is original from the Canadian Army. It is made by Pullmaster and has a straight line pull of around 10 000 - 12 000 pounds. I have also included a photo of the winch control. It is mounted on the right hand side of the shifter. In the photo, the big red button is the PTO engage handle. The PTO is driven off the input shaft of the torque converter of the transmission and drives the pump. Simple, compact package. The oil tank is on the drivers side running board with a filter on the suction side of the pump. I worked on these trucks from the day that they came into service (1984 ) until I retired in 2011 and I think I replaced only one pump and a few hoses over its lifetime. There is a walk-around of this MRT truck on Prime Portal: http://www.primeportal.net/recovery/scott_tremblay/mlvw_mrt/

mlvw_mrt_12_of_33.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Hi Rusty,

Yes that is a hydraulic winch and yes it is original from the Canadian Army. It is made by Pullmaster and has a straight line pull of around 10 000 - 12 000 pounds. I have also included a photo of the winch control. It is mounted on the right hand side of the shifter. In the photo, the big red button is the PTO engage handle. The PTO is driven off the input shaft of the torque converter of the transmission and drives the pump. Simple, compact package. The oil tank is on the drivers side running board with a filter on the suction side of the pump. I worked on these trucks from the day that they came into service (1984 ) until I retired in 2011 and I think I replaced only one pump and a few hoses over its lifetime. There is a walk-around of this MRT truck on Prime Portal: http://www.primeportal.net/recovery/scott_tremblay/mlvw_mrt/

View attachment 715890
OK, your Canadian Dueces might just be the best Deuces ever made !
I know what your talking about with the PTO mounted to the Allison transmission. Since the gears are always in constant mesh and only the shift collar moves, they last a long time. Another thing to consider by using the automatic transmission is your putting a whole lot less strain on all the driveline components and the engine crankshaft. No more clutch pressing against the shaft so the engines last longer. Remember most all engines have only one bearing which controls lateral movement and that is usually the center bearing. I've seen engine crankshafts move almost 1/2" when pressing in the clutch !
Now what's going on with those wheels ? and where can I buy some ?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Junkyardwarscrusher had some a while back rusty. Might try sending him a pm.

If memory serves though, they are mpt rims.

oboyjohn

Thank you Very much Rusty for the compliment! Especially coming from an American saying that something they invented was improved upon by Canadians. Way back around 1980 when we were doing trials to replace our (and yours) old M135 deuces, we looked at the M35 as a base platform and then started making improvements. i believe in total there were around 50 modifications made to what became known as the MLVW. One modification that was never made was the dual circuit brakes, as on your Air force deuces. But all the other mods made it into a pretty good and tough truck. I have driven your deuces when on exercise (Camp Blanding, Florida or Fort Drum, New York) and there is something about shifting with that truck and hearing that wonderful turbo wine that just puts a smile on your face. I took my retirement from the Forces back in 2011 after 27 years of service and if I had the means, I would love to have a Canadian MLVW for its rarity and an American Deuce to drive around with a big smile on my face. Cheers to my fellow service men and women!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks