• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bumper numbers

tiny110

Banned
texas bumper numbers

im going to be registering my truck in texas and im in need of some bumper numbers. (It is just a title transfer). i was thinking of going with some type of army combat engineers numbers. if that ok how do i come up with them? i have done some searching and i dont understand what they mean or where all to put them. please enlighten a ignorant civilian. i have used the search so lets not here about that. thanks for the help! and pix if you have any good ones.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget the VTR135-M form requests you to provide the "Military Registration Number", which is not the unit (bumper) markings. The registration number usually starts with N and is often 6 alpha-numeric characters long. On later trucks, this number is stenciled on the inside of the door, or stamped on the data plate.

As to combat engineer unit markings, archive photos of vehicles from past conflicts can be helpful. I would avoid using markings from a unit that is currently active.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people use their Steel Soldiers member number. In your case it's number 31552, if you don't know how to look it up.

tiny110

Banned
If Im understanding this right the bumper numbers are what I need to give dot for my plate number. If not I'm priming and doing body work now. I was thanking Vietnam unit number.

KsM715

I dont believe you use the bumper numbers, you need the registration number.

Edit: after reading thru the link posted by USAFSS-ColdWarrior it does appear that you can use bumper numbers. Seems strange to me. I would think they would not want people just making up their own registration info and would rather have the registration number tied to whats listed on the title.

Last edited:

CobraCDR

TB 43-0209 covers vehicle painting schemes, bumber number size, location, etc. Download it and that will help with several of your questions. As for which bumber nuumbers to use (unit specific), that will require some research on your part for what you are looking for.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Bumper numbers were used by unit to mark their specific vehicles. Sometimes the military registration number (the way the military keeps track of its vehicles) was stinciled on the hood or somewhere else.
You need VIN that is on the data plate and should be on the SF-97 that came from GL (if the truck was sold through them).
I would not use a bumper number for registration number.

tiny110

Banned
I have spent about 12-14hr looking for the bumper number so I guess I give up. I have not been able to find anything. Im just going to run FMV plate i guess. Thanks for the help anyway!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have spent about 12-14hr looking for the bumper number so I guess I give up. I have not been able to find anything. Im just going to run FMV plate i guess. Thanks for the help anyway!
Bumper numbers don't really mean a thing except to the unit the truck belonged to, they were the ONLY ones that used that number. If the truck was reassigned to a different unit, it got whatever number the new unit assigned to it.

CobraCDR

:ditto: You should be able to just make one up... "213 EN BN" 213th Engineer Battalion (or whatever number you want to give it on one side and "C 22", Charlie Company - vehicle number 22 or "A 3" - Alpha Company - truck number 3, etc..... It's that simple of a system, nothing that you will probable find records of. I can't keep track of how many times our vehicles get moved between units and numbers changes over the years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks