• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper platform - looking for input

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've thought about how I might put on some bumper platforms and figured I'd post my rough plans here and ask for any input.

Plan is fairly simple:

1/4 inch plate steel (I'll look at diamond plate or maybe something else when I'm at the steel yard and compare prices). I have a stick welder (SMAW) that I'll use to weld.
Each side will start out with a 2' x 2' piece that will be cut (plasma cutter) down to fit the shape (gonna use cardboard for template and trace with sharpie).
Angle iron welded on bottom front/back, holes drilled through angle iron and bolted on.

Going to mount an under platform boat ladder on one side. My deuce has been raised by super singles and the bumper is ~36" to the ground from the bottom of the bumper. I have seen the 1 step under mount that is available for MV's, but the depth of that step is 1 foot and having to step up 2 feet isn't ideal for me (somewhat old + fat). I haven't settled on the linked ladder, it's just part of the concept. The ladder would be installed perpendicular to the side of the truck, so you would be facing the side (not the front) to climb the steps which would telescope up/down and swing/slide to fit under the platform when stowed.

The distance at the narrowest from the bumper to the truck is about 15.5"

Just thought, now, that I should install the plate/deck at a slight angle so that water will run off and not pool. Figure I can do this just depending on how I bolt it on, just need to make sure I drill the holes with an angle/slope in mind.

I like to bounce ideas off of people and if anyone has anything to add, I'd welcome it, well, anything constructive.

Last edited:

oboyjohn

Our Canadian Deuces all had bumper frame extensions and incorporated platforms built on them. This mod made it so much easier for the mechanics (me) to work on them. Here is what they looked like:
Canadian Military Logistics Vehicle Wheeled 2011-12-30.jpg mlvw_artillery_gun_tractor_09_of_16.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks