• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper # translation

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M35A2 with which I was hoping to get some help translating the bumper #s. As you face the truck, on the passenger's side front bumper: NCARNG 691MT, on the driver's side front bumper: DS161. I know that the NCARNG stands for the North Carolina Army National Guard, but I did not know the rest. Any help would be appreciated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no good with these number but I might have a guess at yours. North Caroline Army national Guard 691st Maintenance Unit. The DS number I don't know.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Kenny and Swami. What does a Direct Support unit do exactly? This is the first time I've ever come across a DS # on one of my bumpers. Please pardon my ignorance on this issue...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe they do everything outlined in the -34 manauls. I've seen them swapping cabs and everything.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
In the ole day, there were 4 levels of maintenance:

1. Operator (done by the crew)
2. Organizational (done by the unit mechanics)
3. DS/GS (direct support/general support)
4. Depot level (done in the US depots or by manufacturer for the most part although there were exceptions)

Direct support means the maintenance unit is attached to your unit to provide support directly to you whether it you be a battalion, brigade, division. These units tend to be somewhat smaller and normally support at brigade level. 3rd Bde, 8th infantry division and the 202nd Forward Support Battalion were directly supported by the 51st maintenance company. If the crew couldn't repair the tank, the battalion mechanics tried, if they couldn't the vehicle was evacuated to a maintenance collection point where if the rest of the battalion mechanics worked. If they couldn't repair it, a maintenance team from the B company of the forward support battalion (FSB) tried at that location and if they couldn't repair it, it went to a central point in the brigade support area where the rest of the B company FSB mechanics worked. If they couldn't fix it, then it could be turned over to the direct support maintenance company to do the really big stuff and if they couldn't then back to the rear with it and order a new vehicle.

General support means you provide maintenance to...say a geographical area. X unit is responsible for all maintenance support within the state of Maryland or on foward operating base henry or on Aberdeen Proving Grounds. These units normally operated above division level. If a unit does not have the capability to repair a vehicle, the GS maintenance guys take over.

The Army now has 2 levels of maintenance:
1. Organizational (which includes crew level)
2. Non-organizational (send the vehicle up the chain til it gets fixed)

Understand there are a boat load of contractors that now go to war within units. Stryker units have a LOT of contractors doing the maintenance work on what use to be DS/GS level.

That's about it in a nutshell in the 5 minutes I had to type this.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, we are considering coming up pending 2 things. 1) We can come up with an M1009 and 2) If my wife is back from her deployment. If all fallls into place we will ride up to DC on the Autotrain and drive from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks