• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

burnt fusable link?

nighttrain2006

ok i have a 86 m1009. went to start it yesterday and nothing. tryed it again and burnt the fuseable link on the 24v (pass) side. it the wire on the forth terminal. i think this is the wire that goes to the starter relay.

Also after this happened the gen 2 light on the dash is no longer working?

I have the glow plug control card bypassed.

TOday i reconnected the fuseable link , and put a new starter relay in. Went to start it and burnt the link again. i just put in a brand new starter two weeks ago. truck is still 24volts.

Is the starter bad? OR could a bad alt cause this problem? Looked for loose and or fryed wires could not find any. Also is gen 2 on the driver or pass side? thank you

dependable

first guess from far away, the #2 alt needs its ground isolated. 2nd, check relay under dash (silver one above ste ice port) lots of info on that in the CUCV info posts.

Last edited:

acmunro

Hard to say from here, but I just had a CUCV that I purchased from GL with what looked like a brand new starter. The starter solenoid failed and burnt the fusible link. I replaced the solenoid and the link and it works great now. Good Luck

kadetklapp

I had a '79 Scottsdale 3/4 4x4. I had the exact same problem (except mine was a gasser, so I don't know about the glow plug card) and I installed a new starter, new fusible links, and never was able to get that truck to turn over again. I ended up selling it because I was sick of dealing with it. I feel that had I spent more time with it and had access to a lift, I would have found a junked out ground somewhere. The truck was very rusty.