• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a Deuce Blind

TheManiac

I'm considering getting a deuce but none of the locations that seem to typically sell them are within a reasonable inspection drive. I know some members of the forum are willing to help people with doing some inspections which I might ask about when I get the go ahead from my wife.

If having somebody inspect doesn't work out what are some things to look for when buying a deuce blind as far is in the pictures in the description go?

What items would be the most expensive or impossible to repair effectively making the deuce "totaled"?

Thanks for your time!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
None would make it totaled if you have the time and effort. Maybe a messed up frame but thats about it.

stumps

Some have found that GL's pictures weren't even of the deuce they bought. If you buy blind, you are taking a pure gamble. You might get lucky and get one you can fix and drive, or you might get one with a blown engine, transmission, and broken undercarriage.

That said, you can fix anything that could go wrong with a deuce by throwing enough parts from another deuce at it. There are plenty of $3K to $5K deuces out there that are in private hands that have been checked over.

I bought my deuce blind, but I paid less than 1/2 of the price of a checked over deuce from a private seller. I figured that even if I had to buy two deuces to make one (at that price), I would be ahead. As it was, I got lucky and a good truck found me.

-Chuck

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I bought a Duece off a guy that sells them on ebay(even right now), when it got here it wasnt anything like what he told me. It was real real bad, I had to sue the guy after I tried doing everything I could to make it right even though none of it was my fault. Unless I know the person id never buy a truck without looking at it.

whyme

its a crap shoot. you can look at the GL pictures and some obvious problems might be visible but in reality the frame and suspension is going to be usable on most and hose are really the only things your gonna see in those pics. you can look for obvious missing/broken components. rust and body work will be hard to determine given the lack of quality pictures provided.

the issues you need to address are brake, engine, and drive line. first hand inspection is your only bet there and your still taking a little gamble given the truck will sit while your waiting for your euc

i got lucky that mine runs but until i sort the brake issues there is no telling what other issues ive got.

Heavysteven

Missing parts and mismatched colors could indicate it was a parts truck. I would call the GL site rep and ask a couple questions.

I purchased mine without an inspection because i heard great things about the trucks coming out of Frankfort. I was lucky and consider it to be one of the best worst deicisions I made. Take my advise it is worth the time and energy to do an inspection. Other wise you couldl be paying to have it hauled to the junk yard.

Last edited:

flyxpl

After looking at a few trucks in private hands and listening to a bunch of lies I bought two trucks from GL with no preview . Both trucks are drivable , dead batteries was the only reason thy would not run . One truck had a leaky oil seal on rear axle , one truck had leaky boot on front axle . I figured out of two trucks I could get at least one to run . I would worry more about the wait then the condition of the truck . Figure a 60 day wait to get your truck , then another 30 day wait for a title so you can drive it .

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
None would make it totaled if you have the time and effort. Maybe a messed up frame but thats about it.

Spoken from "He who knows of what he speaks". His avatar should be an obvious sign you can't listen to him. Then again the truck was righted with minor damage and was driven away.

;-)

sw

WOLFMAN1

like the saying goes, you buy chocalte for your sweety just to find out shes allergic, then on top of it you bought the box cause of its looks you really don't know what the inside looks like unless you look. buying blind is a 50/50 chance. i bought my deuce blind and found out it has a gass engine not mult fuel so what do you do. lose the cash or try again. if you can sell the one you got.2cents learn from experiance and hope for the best.

WOLFMAN1

i appreciate it but would require a lot of work and know how and im not a mecanical genuis. dont really want to take much away from this truck cause it is original dont want to start swaping out too many parts. thankyou 2cents

Clay James

I started bidding blind on one of the GL auctions but decided to go down to French Camp, CA and look at it and it turned out to be nicer than I expected. It has a Tooele Army Depot sticker on the engine so I'm guessing it's rebuilt. I did win it today, my first deuce by the way and my first post here:-D Can't wait to get it home.

Last edited:

rlwm211

I bought mine sight unseen, from GL. I made sure the price I paid was equal to the scrap value. I figured if it was a basket case, I could get my money back for the steel.

I made out good. Others I know have done inspections and checked things out and have been burned because of things unseen in an inspection.

I guess the real common denominator is this:

"CAN YOU FIX IT YOURSELF???????"

If you can do the work required to make a truck work properly, then you are far safer buying a truck as I did.

Then again, if you are unfamiliar with things like 3/4" drive socket sets; air packs; injector pumps; turbochargers, then you are at a distinct disadvantage and should consider buying a deuce from someone who has a reputation for quality and standing behind the trucks they sell.

Just my two cents, and perhaps a llttle more
RL

mistaken1

Luke, Use the force......

I have bid only at nearby sites off of pictures. Been blessed so far. The deuce I bought was driven from KC to Jeff City 6 months before I drove it from Jeff City back to KC. Mechanically it is in great shape but it does need painting.

GoldComet6

\
I'm considering getting a deuce but none of the locations that seem to typically sell them are within a reasonable inspection drive. I know some members of the forum are willing to help people with doing some inspections which I might ask about when I get the go ahead from my wife.

If having somebody inspect doesn't work out what are some things to look for when buying a deuce blind as far is in the pictures in the description go?

What items would be the most expensive or impossible to repair effectively making the deuce "totaled"?

Thanks for your time!
I have never bought anything from GL, but I inspected the Deuces & CUCVs last year at WR. Based on that, if possible a preview is best! I saw things on those trucks that were not shown in the pics or at least not obvious in them (leaks, damage, missing parts etc). You're able to really look them over and pick one or two that seem the best and most complete. At WR I was able able to start them (if the batts weren't dead!) and verify it ran. None of the ones I saw were terrible trucks, but there were certainly better ones out of the 25-30 I looked at.

That being said - I still look at Deuces/CUCVs on GL with the thought of buying one, even though I haven't previewed. As has been said already from those with actual experience - I'd exepect the worst and keep that in mind when bidding. Pick one that looks as complete and in the best shape as possible, and then....roll the dice!!!! :driver:

runk

I bought blind, and it worked out great !
That said, I did a lot of looking and reading first (this site was an awesome find), and then did the calculation on what my business would lose with a preview trip vs. what it would cost if I bought a total piece of junk. I am fortunate that a real good friend has a ranch very close to Hooks (Red River) where I was looking, so I just had to cost out getting it hauled there if necessary.
I would do it again, as long as it's a sale with just a few trucks (~10 or less), with good specific pictures of each actual truck. It seem like most of the horror stories of bad pictures and descriptions have come from the really big sales.
Do your research, set your cost limits, and look at it as part as the adventure !

Sephirothq

I had an opportunity to bid on a deuce from a township. It was a good thing i looked at it. It is so rusty the fenders are rotted off the truck.

You have a few options

Buy from a dealer, most expensive but the truck should and I say should, be ready to go

Buy private party that you can trust or has a good rep. I am not talking about someone that has no experience on the truck. You should be able to test drive it, the seller should have a title, the seller should know a the faults which shouldn't be too much of the truck. Cheaper then a dealer, should be ready to go, but it won't have the same backing as from a dealer

Buy private party basically a truck flipper. They won't know as much about the truck. price should be cheaper, seller may or may not have a title. The truck is abit of a mystery the seller hasn't used the truck enough to know it's personality. You should be able to test drive it.

Buy an auction truck direct from the gov. Truck = total mystery. If you don't look at it first "does not run" might mean connecting rod hanging out of the engine block or it could just need batteries. Brakes might or might not work. Bottom line who knows. don't forget your 10% on top of your bid price. Then you have the gl games, EUC wait. I am still waiting 4 months on an EUC and no it's not my first. If you want a title you have an extra $60 for an SF97. But you can get a deal if you get lucky. I have seen a truck M35A2 sell for 4K. I can quote the event and lot number. So not every truck that sells there is cheap. But if you wait, look around and get lucky you can get get a very nice truck for a low price

Those are your basic choices. Good luck enjoy.