• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a M1008

chevyman209

Okay, My son wants to get a M1008 and we like to do a lot of hunting, and he likes off roading. We usually use my truck because he doesn't have one, do you think this would be a good first vehicle? He likes them because they're a lot stronger than the civilian model and it's a diesel. Would it be bad for the truck if it were going highway speeds (65-75). Also is there anything we could add, like a turbo to make the truck less gutless?

-Thanks

USAWEAPON777

it will make for a great offroad and brush truck, however they are old so as long as you don't mind doin some maintenance now and then their great trucks. You can NOT drive the m1008 at 65-75. It has 4.56 gears in it. the engine is screaming at 60+. Driving at that speed for any duration of time would lead to a very short engine life. The m1009 blazers have much better gearing for the street and can cruise on the highway with ease. You can add a turbo to the truck. You can either run a banks sidewinder turbo kit. or jerry rig a turbo set up of the later 6.5 diesel engine. i know T_F_E did a 6.5 turbo swap on his truck

chevyman209

thanks, and do you know if 4.11 gears would be worth switching out? and also he likes working on things and his cousin can show him how to to do regular maintenance on it. also the 6.5L turbos fit the 6.2?

USAWEAPON777

hmm i'm not sure what gears you would want to use. You'd have to find the proper balance for how fast you want to go on the highway and what kind of offroading you want to do. Also if he's going to put bigger tires on that will also factor in. For the turbo i believe you replace the intake and exhaust manifold along with some other things. Let me see if i can find his thread

here ya go: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/43430-how-turbo-6-2-using-6-5-parts.html

USAWEAPON777

well the m1008 is basically like a k30 civilian model truck. As long as you don't mind it being a turd in the acceleration department and have trailer brakes i don't see why you couldn't tow 7-8000.

chevyman209

Okay sweet. so he'd have no problem towing a dirtbike/quad trailer... and Brad did you have to lift yours to fit the 36s? or do they fit good stock?.. do you have any pics?

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would set up 3.73 they are all around good gear set for GM 14T 10.5 & Dana 60.
I did mine that way & 285 75r16 MT Tires, no problems at 70mph.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New carrier's and ARB's front and rear 3.73 gears sounds like a good on/off road combo,the stock lockers for the 14 bolts
will jerk a knot in yer arrrsss!

popacom / Bill :lol:

ultim8gamr

He likes them because they're a lot stronger than the civilian model and it's a diesel.
Keep in mind that the M1008 is Exactly a Chevy K30 1Ton of the time. Minus interior carpet and the addition of some helper springs in the rear. So it's not necessarily any stronger.
With that being said, it will have no problem towing ATVs, etc. My M1008 didn't even move down an inch when I loaded a Grizzly 600 into the bed, where as my '90 K1500 would look bottomed out.

It would make a great first truck and offers a great learning experience because of the ease of repair and availability of parts. It's a rather simple truck, and the resources available here on SteelSoldiers makes any repair possible.

chevyman209

thanks, I want him to have a truck, but the only thing that bothers me is the fact of it not being able to do highway speeds without changing out the gears. and also it being rather gutless. and its quite pricey to add a turbo. also im worried about MPGs. I've read some people say that they're getting 12-15 and others saying 18-20+ i have a hard time believing that these will get 20+ mpg

CA_LEO

Keep in mind if he is going to add larger tires on the vehicle it will also drop the RPM's a little bit. If he wants my 10 bolts from my M1009 I will gladly trade you for the dana 60 and 14 bolt rear:mrgreen: Joking of course, you would not want a 10 bolt in the M1008.

USAWEAPON777

its all in the gearing. The m1008 tends to get from 15-18ish and the m1009 can do above 20. It really depends a lot on the truck, the driver, and the conditions driven in.