• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying first humvee

Cost

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EliteBeret

what would be the cost of a bare bones humvee? By bare bones I mean frame in good condition, Engine running decently and functioning or easily fixable gauges and lights.

Action

what do the options only go to $7,000 ?
Go to govplanet.com and search for "hmmwv". Click on sold. You can look at lots of pics and videos (if running) and see what the auction prices have been. You can sort by price from low to high. In addition to the sale price, you will need to add auction house % and shipping.

EliteBeret

what do the options only go to $7,000 ?
Go to govplanet.com and search for "hmmwv". Click on sold. You can look at lots of pics and videos (if running) and see what the auction prices have been. You can sort by price from low to high. In addition to the sale price, you will need to add auction house % and shipping.
I’m not buying from gov planet. I want one I can actively ask for pictures of and go see before purchase. I’m asking what a good price would be. I know approximately how much shipping would be no matter location.

Last edited:

springer1981

I think GovPlanet does a great job with pictures and video that you likely won't get in a private sale. That said, good luck finding a private sale for less than $15K.

EliteBeret

I think GovPlanet does a great job with pictures and video that you likely won't get in a private sale. That said, good luck finding a private sale for less than $15K.
I just saw a humvee with hard top and doors in pristine condition go for 20k on fb.
the thing with gov planet is the wait and fees.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That's the million dollar question. :funny: To many variables besides lights and gauges. There's no more $85 dollar jeeps in a crate. The survey is a neat idea, BUT the range is a bit wishful IMO.

Here's my quickie breakdown on my rig over the past six years.
1987 M998 9500
Shipping 2000
Replacement parts 4000
4 doors 1700
5 very nice tires & rims 450 was a super deal
Air lift bumper & Rhino 400 another deal
Seat kit new & rear cushions 700
Differential 400
Steering wheel 85
Electrical good deal items... flasher, alternator, gauges, lights, switches, 400
Heater core & motor 150
Bought hard copies of TM's 200
Can't remember stuff ... 1600 "HMMWV amnesia" .... if you see green rigs .... YOU GOT IT !
License & insurance each year 600
Band-aids and swear jar ... lost count
Undisclosed funds and times I heard "money pit" from the boss lady. Not a dollar value 863 times.
Hours of labor ..... PRICELESS

Not cheap and wonder sometimes the price of such fun, LOL........ CAMO aua

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
saw a "as new" one for $27,000 delivered (and then go attempt to get a title where you live).
All DONE, refurbished renewed rebuilt, the whole shazam.
Probably worth it.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
15k for a humvee with a running engine? All I’m looking for is a base humvee. No doors, roof or even seats. Just in good condition for what’s there.
Rolling chassis with a driveline in place and intact is going to exceed the $7k. The thing is, you're not likely to find just the parts present you want, and in good shape. The ones in better shape tend to also be the ones that are more complete.

If cheap is the goal, GP is the answer if you're not averse to risk and delay.

The secondary market removes the delay, but has its own set of risks and increases cost.

EliteBeret

Rolling chassis with a driveline in place and intact is going to exceed the $7k. The thing is, you're not likely to find just the parts present you want, and in good shape. The ones in better shape tend to also be the ones that are more complete.

If cheap is the goal, GP is the answer if you're not averse to risk and delay.

The secondary market removes the delay, but has its own set of risks and increases cost.
I see what your saying. I could easily get I wanted from govplanet but the taxes would kill me. Thanks for the info and wake up call.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"bare bones in good condition"
6.2 or 6.5 engine? 6.5 with turbo?
3 speed or 4 speed?
titles for on road use or ORV only?
m998, m998A1 m998A2, ECV, REV?

You're basically asking what price for a bare bones Ford pickup. We could be talking anything back to the model T or F100, F150, F250, F350, F450, Ranger, or any other model they have ever produced, but only comparing the base version of the model series.

I bought a stripped down M1123 2 years ago, after expenses and whatnot I'm about $25k into it.
A different guy in the local area bought a Plan B truck with hard top and working aircon, he decided he wanted something else really fast and I saw his truck for sale from a local dealership for $20k a month later.

There are so many different variables as to what all could be in a "bare bones good condition" truck, but I'd say an early truck with a lot of miles and not much wrong other than it's 35 years old would start in the $5k range and go up from there. (6.2l engine, 3 speed transmission, and a 2 person cab with soft doors)

Even if you purchase private party you still have to pay state sales tax and stuff like that.

Even if you find a $5k chassis with running motor, you're very likely to be into it for twice that before it's in decent shape.

EliteBeret

"bare bones in good condition"
6.2 or 6.5 engine? 6.5 with turbo?
3 speed or 4 speed?
titles for on road use or ORV only?
m998, m998A1 m998A2, ECV, REV?

You're basically asking what price for a bare bones Ford pickup. We could be talking anything back to the model T or F100, F150, F250, F350, F450, Ranger, or any other model they have ever produced, but only comparing the base version of the model series.

I bought a stripped down M1123 2 years ago, after expenses and whatnot I'm about $25k into it.
A different guy in the local area bought a Plan B truck with hard top and working aircon, he decided he wanted something else really fast and I saw his truck for sale from a local dealership for $20k a month later.

There are so many different variables as to what all could be in a "bare bones good condition" truck, but I'd say an early truck with a lot of miles and not much wrong other than it's 35 years old would start in the $5k range and go up from there. (6.2l engine, 3 speed transmission, and a 2 person cab with soft doors)

Even if you purchase private party you still have to pay state sales tax and stuff like that.

Even if you find a $5k chassis with running motor, you're very likely to be into it for twice that before it's in decent shape.
Don’t care about engine or cab configuration. I live in Florida so as long there is a VIN I should be able to get an on road title eventually. Yeah I’ve never paid taxes on a cash or check private transaction.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see what your saying. I could easily get I wanted from govplanet but the taxes would kill me. Thanks for the info and wake up call.
Thing is, the ones on the secondary market all went through GP at some point and these costs were incorporated into the value. The secondary market is at minimum 20% higher than GP, and frequently more like double.

A bare bones no frills basic hmmwv in functioning condition has a market value well over $10k. Deleting seats only takes this down by a few hundred. Deleting soft top takes it down a couple hundred more. This presumes you can find a "good one" that doesn't have seats or a top, which is something of a presumption to begin with.

You may get lucky and find someone who has one they can't get titled and wants to get rid of. That's probably the best path to a decent cheap one on the secondary market, but it is still unlikely to be less than the total of GP and fees.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t care about engine or cab configuration. I live in Florida so as long there is a VIN I should be able to get an on road title eventually. Yeah I’ve never paid taxes on a cash or check private transaction.
There's not a 17 digit VIN. There's a (typically 6 digit) serial number. This gives most DMVs fits. I know people have them registered in FL, but it is almost certainly a far more tedious and aggravating process than you think.

Every state that I know of collects sales tax on vehicle transfers at the time of titling.

EliteBeret

There's not a 17 digit VIN. There's a (typically 6 digit) serial number. This gives most DMVs fits. I know people have them registered in FL, but it is almost certainly a far more tedious and aggravating process than you think.

Every state that I know of collects sales tax on vehicle transfers at the time of titling.
There is a tax on transferring a title yes. I’d be willing to pay that if it came with title. It’s quite easy to register a vehicle as off road use only or “farm use” in Florida. From there it’s easy to get it road legal. (No inspection required)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a tax on transferring a title yes. I’d be willing to pay that if it came with title. It’s quite easy to register a vehicle as off road use only or “farm use” in Florida. From there it’s easy to get it road legal. (No inspection required)
Talk to someone in FL who has registered a hmmwv recently in FL. Many places have specific exceptions and refuse hmmwvs. I have no personal experience with FL and make no claims this is the case. But it is well worth checking before you've sunk time and $ into a vehicle and find the path blocked for titling it. What applies to farm utility vehicles won't necessarily be applied to hmmwvs.

This is part of the reason that already titled vehicles bring a premium.

Action

I went to a Lee County DMV in FL. She said to just bring in the SF97. I said that is no problem, but I want to make sure the 6 digit VIN is not an issue. She kept stating that all vehicles have a 17 digit VIN. I showed her pics of AMG tags to show these aren't. I wanted to know what happens if I have the same VIN as a golf cart. She gave me the number of the FL VIN inspection place. I called and that guy told me he will NOT approve the titling of a HMMWV in FL. Others found ways around it.

EliteBeret

I went to a Lee County DMV in FL. She said to just bring in the SF97. I said that is no problem, but I want to make sure the 6 digit VIN is not an issue. She kept stating that all vehicles have a 17 digit VIN. I showed her pics of AMG tags to show these aren't. I wanted to know what happens if I have the same VIN as a golf cart. She gave me the number of the FL VIN inspection place. I called and that guy told me he will NOT approve the titling of a HMMWV in FL. Others found ways around it.
On YouTube this guy named Dakota wood got all his registered in Florida.