• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buzzer with flasher feed

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For all you people who can't stand the sound of the buzzer, but still want it connected.
Use a turn signal flasher unit to make it go beep...beep...beep..., much less annoying.
The hook up will require the purchase of a matching connector to wire into the flasher. Part number is MS3106A16-10S and the clamp is MS3057-8A.

Attachments

m139h2otruck

Great idea!!
I just used Saturn's warning light kit (about $12) and disconnected buzzer. Using the flasher with the light would be even better. Or for the really paranoid, use both with the flasher.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can take it a step further and get a turn signal buzzer out of it too, the buzzer sounds off when the turnsignals are used using only one flasher unit, what's shown above implies that a second flasher unit is used.

Play with the parts, just remember that the new flasher units don't handle short circuit load very well.

Rattlehead

Bjorn, being the electrical guru, do you by chance know the rating of the turn signal flasher? I wonder if it is worth installing a circuit breaker in line to it, though it should have some sort of overcurrent protection built in.

I made up some towing lights and used some aftermarket LED trailer lights just for the purpose of not drawing more current than necessary off the system. Don't have a trailer to worry about yet.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original solid state ones (ca 1965), used a heavy duty SCR to do the switching and was able to handle a short circuit load until a circuit breaker (CB) would trip. The CB is the 20 amp one built-in in the 3-lever switch. They were labeled 10 amps for capacity. The newer units, ca 2000, use Radio Shack parts and use a transistor for switching, they are not labeled for capacity. They will pretty much blow immediately when a short circuit is encountered, although I beleive some may have a token protection built in.
I let the flasher unit drive a relay, so that there is no problem with overloading it. The relay handles heavy loads and will trip the CB without harm.

Jones

How about this idea?
We've got several trucks set up with normally on (NC), momentary toggle or push-button switches marked "Alarm Silencer". During start-up you push and hold the toggle or push-button switch and the buzzer is cut out. After the air builds up you release it and then, if you have an air loss, the buzzer works as intended.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks