• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab bow problems

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone help me? :oops:

I have a soft top, and when we got the truck it was missing the bows. The cab top is the insulated type, and it has the two bars over the back of the cab, one higher and father forward of the other. I ordered 3 bows from Saturn, and 3 from TNJ. Both sets are the same. The bars do not have holes in them. The top of the windshield has gromets in it. The bows are not long enough to reach from the windshield back to the bar. WTF? aua

The manual shows the same bows I have, fitting between the windshield, and the bar. Does anyone know whats up? Can you post pics of your setup?

Thanks in advance.

Blythewoodjoe

Are you talking about your M35? All the trucks I have messed with had holes in the top of the windshield and holes in the top of the higher and forward most bar. They drop down into the holes in the windshield and a washer is welded to this end to keep it from going in too far. They are bent right above this washer at a 90 degree angle. The other end has about an inch bent over at almost a 90 degree angle and drops in the holes in the pipe or bar. I don't see how it could not work if you have the right rods and you are going to the right bar. You might have some misfit rods.

Hope that helps.

JDToumanian

Mine would pop out of the holes, too... I read somewhere that the holes in the bar should go all the way through, but mine were only drilled through one wall of the tube. After I drilled them all the way through, the bows fit much better now.

Adam - If neither of your bars has the holes in it for the bows, you can drill them yourself. The two bars are the same, except the upper/forward one has three holes in it. While you're at it, drill two extra holes per the PS Magazine article below... It'll make you feel better about having ordered two identical sets of bows!

Jon

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jon,
I did drill the new holes, but even with that I have to bend the bar forward to get the bow to fit between them, and then the windshield side won't stay in due to the tension and will pop out. I'm about ready to pull out the mig welder.... aua

If the bar was about an inch forward, I would be fine.

That's a good idea about the extra bows.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I measured the length of a canvas top bow. The one on the drivers side measured 34 1/4" center to center as it is installed on my truck. I have 3 bows and they all fit well. Mine do extend through the pipe (holes go all the way through the pipe) My top is canvas and was new last summer from Adirondak Dodge.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam, have you figured this out yet?

pa.rich

I measured mine in a straight line rather than following the curvature of the bow and its 34and one half center of hole to center of hole. Doesent the canvas top tension hold them down once its on? I dont see how its possible for them to come out with the canvas on them. I could see them coming out of the holes without it on there. Try putting a wire ty on each end until you get the canvas on .Then cut them off.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys, thanks for the inputs.

I had to come home to VA after my leave ran out, so I haven't had a chance to mess with it anymore. My Dad is getting the top repaired, so when that is done I'm sure he will mess with it somemore.

mangus580

Looking back on this, the article mentioninng using extra bows seems to show a 900 series with a wider cab. Has anyone tried this on a deuce?

mangus580

Well, I took my top off today, with intentions of putting in the set of new bows I got at Jim Thorpe. I knew I was going to have to drill new holes for 2 of the bows, since my truck came with them going on an angle, and the tob has the velcro for them to go straight.

One thing I noticed right away, the pipes werent staying seated all the way in the frame. I grabbed one of my ratchet straps, pulled it together, and used a few zip screws to hold it in place.

In the process, I also discovered a couple of other spots that needed attention. The drivers side hinge point at the back of the window was real sloppy. The lock clips at the windshield on both sides needed fixing as well.

Since 2 of my original bows were in good shape still, I decided I would try the 5 bow setup. It sure makes the canvas alot tighter. It was real tough to get it down over the turn buttons on the side. I figure once I get the missing turn buttons, it will seal really well. The biggest problem I had was where the canvas has to go behind the convoy poles. When I swap out the cab, I will fab up spacers for them.

I am not sure that I would buy extra bows to do this... but since I had them anyway...

I will say, it doesnt flap at all now!

Attachments

mangus580

Actually.... I found those on the side of the road last night for free... figure they will make great seating at Aberdeen...

Also... I forgot to get a pic or 2 after the canvas was back on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks