• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab lift and spare tire cylinder replacement

ARYankee

I'm curious if anyone has replaced their cab lift and spare tire cylinders with electric linear actuators. I'm thinking of deleting the pump system for them. I know they need to be operated frequently or you will have issues. Mine worked fine when I first had the truck but now it acts up. I figure getting 24 VDC linear actuators might be the way to go. Just seeing if anyone may have tried this or thought the samething.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electric actuators are longer than hydraulic actuators for the same stroke length. So fitting a longer actuator in the same space would be the first hurdle the second would be strength.

Ronmar

Strength would be a bigun…

the rod end side of the piston(side used to lift the tire) has ~ 2.36 sq/in of surface area. It takes ~2200PSI to lift the tire, so that is 5,183# of force from the cylinder to lift the tire…

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cylinders have those spring activated flow checks that get locked up. My spare tire cylinder locked up and I just swapped it out with a standard Magister cylinder with 1-1/2" rod, 2-1/2" bore. Now I'm rerouting the exhaust, so I don't have a spare but it worked well for 2 years. I'd like to fold in a 24v DC hydraulic pump pak to supplement the air unit when the air is zero.

here is the thread on what I did...
8ED616B0-E962-4FBC-98D1-D26E085952CF.jpeg

Last edited: