• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

california historical plates

drjconley

how long does it usually take for the historical plates to get processed in sacramento. i filled out my paperwork over one month ago and i havent heard a word from the dmv and i havent received my plates yet.

jim

m62a2

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what it will cost for regular tags with my Out Of State military deal? It's less than 90 bucks for my 2008 GMC 2500HD.

My historical plates took a couple months, as long as you have your paperwork for them you should be in good shape. You may want to contact the DMV to make sure everything is ok. I had to wait because I underpaid 26 bucks on mine (per Sacramento) it took a while to get notification of that. Then I had to go in and pay, then wait for the plates.

All said and done, I got my plates....Then I got a $26 dollar refund for overpaying:cookoo:

drjconley

I got the paperwork in the mail today, the state wanted a letter from me stateing that i will only use it in parades, etc. DMV fees in california are going to double soon, due to the state being broke. That is why i am changeing my plates. $25 doubled to $50 is easier than $1000 doubled to $2000.
jim

IF the DMV office had dont their job right, you would have signed that there when you applied. I remember bringing all the paper work in and them having me sign that one additionally.
I dont put a lot of weight on that document since the Historical Code also says "principally" and you may need to do A LOT of maintenance, test drives, etc to your old decrepid vehicle. Also the DMV 5004 says the fee is $25 in the code, I dont think they will raise that rate since it is written into the Vehicle Code at that amount.

Good Luck!!! Sounds like you will be getting your plates soon.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

I submitted my paperwork about a month ago and havent heard a thing! The DMV clerk charged me $230 for my historical registration. Aslong as the clerk pushed the paperwork through, I wasnt going to argue there at the DMV. I feel like I paid too much. I will work on the price, once the plate gets here.

trog

I often meet CA residents who don't know that commercial registration usually triggers need for a motor carrier permit, and registered 3-axle trucks (among other vehicles) need CHP BIT inspection. This does not apply to historical vehicle registration, and "housecars" are not commercial trucks. BIT has a significant fee, of course, and there is a penalty for late applications.

Coldfusion21

you Californians always seem to make everything way more complicated. I also belong to a large gun forum and hear about all the ridiculous laws regarding firearms, unfortunately for them there isn't a loophole :razz:

For only 25 dollars though, i must admit i wish Oregon did something like that.

[offtopic]

yellobronc is that you in your av? Maybe a quick rundown of the build?

[/offtopic]

AaronHorrocks

It took about 2 months to get one for my 5 Ton. It took about 14 months to get one for my M100.

What's complicated? seems simple enough to me. The Historical Vehicle plate gets you out of a load in taxes, fees, and regulations.

cardoctor

I've registered 2 of my 3 deuces H/V in the last 4months. Each took about 6 weeks from turning in complete paperwork to new plates in the mailbox. Have had no problems with H/V use restrictions.