• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling long-time owners of MEP002As--Vibration level question...

1800 Diesel

Since I've just acquired a few MEP2s and just got the first one up and running, I wanted to ask a question about vibration levels on these units. I've been operating our MEP3 (as needed for hurricanes & storms from here to Louisiana) since about 1995 so I'm familiar with it as far as how it sounds & feels while running. However, this is my 1st experience with the MEP2 model. I bought two brand new batteries today and installed them a short while ago. I did not install the battery tie-down brackets, but only set the batteries in the mounting area and secured the cables. At the present the skid of the generator is sitting on 2x6 treated pine boards nailed flat to telephone poles laying on the ground (under a canvas tent). The poles are spaced about 3' centers and the boards are spaced about on 1' centers, so there's roughly a 6" gap between the boards. So the generator is probably sitting on 4 or 5 boards with the channel frames fairly close to the area supported by the poles. The channel frame is secured to the boards with large C-clamps, and the boards were set level by shims as needed.

I provide all this as background info relevant to how the set is being supported while I'm doing my test runs....so finally, my question: While doing a short test run this evening, I noticed the blower end battery bouncing pretty good off the frame, maybe 1/8" or better & the other battery also vibrating but not "bouncing". The movement of the batteries makes we want to install a 1-2" pad of foam cushion or something to prevent damage to the batteries. Is this normal for an MEP2? Our MEP3 does nothing like this and I've never secured the batteries down with the tie-down frames.

Has anyone else observed this on their MEP2s? If not what should I be looking as a contributing factor? The engine runs very well with no abnormal noises and is putting out proper voltage & freq....not sure if it's related to my temporary work pad or not.

Thanks for any comments or assistance.

1800 Diesel

Sorry guys--should've checked the archives before posting my questions--found a few posts with similar concerns on the MEP2 vibe issues, so I"ll read those to get the basics...so stand down for now, unless you're inclined to answer anyway...will do better recon next time before asking a duplicate question....

1800 Diesel

I have the steel frames for battery hold-downs, just haven't located some J-bolts...for now I have placed the batteries on foam cushion and secured them down with large zip-ties--just for the testing phase.

Will also check valve clearance and us my IR thermometer to check temps on/around the cylinder head for any abnormal fuel issues..thanks and wishing good Thanksgiving to all...

1800 Diesel

MEP002A Vibration question--part 2

I posted a question last week about #1 of 3 MEP2s that I am working on for resale. I then found several archive posts (re: vibration levels on the MEP2) and decided that the general consensus was that the MEP2 model has a higher vibration level than the MEP3 (this one I am familiar with having owned one since 1995).... However, with the 2nd unit up and running, I now can do a side-by-side comparison. This weekend my son & I worked on getting MEP2 "#2" ready for light-off and now happy to report we have another viable unit with both engine & generator working properly....no DC charging, but I expected that since the unit had a solar charger bolted to the fan housing. While running the generator, I noticed a significant lower level of vibration from this unit than from "#1 unit"....I searched the archives again and came across a post titled "Sheared bolts on generator". This made me consider the possibility that some of the bolts may be loose and that I should probably do a check. I assume this is a fairly labor-intensive job.--can someone fill me in on the difficulty & time factor? I'll also look into the service manual to get a good understanding of the task.

The only other item I can think of is something out of array on the fan end and I also read about valve adjustment check. The other thought was a bad pedestal bearing? I also checked cylinder head temps with my IR rig and they checked out about the same temp within 1 or 2 degrees.

So to sum up--the unit in question vibrates a little more than the 2nd one we just got running, but both DC & AC are working fine. Should I continue using the unit or should I investigate the source of the vibration further?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

twitchit

wow, no replies. I only have 1 002 and 1 003. These are my first generators and i am by far no expert. I would go for the lower hanging fruit first. the valve cover is right there and since uncle sam addressed it in the tsm I would go for the valves first. who knows if some e3 or below adjusted those as they were supposed to. That was probably gundecked out of laziness for a long time. it couldn't hurt to start there. let us know if it calms down its jitters.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
have you ran your house off the 5k. i just picked up a 5 and a 10k and wondering if that 5kw will run my house and one central ac unit. i havent started the 5kw unit up yet to see if it has that vibration you are talking about. i am wondering of you have something loose inside the generator.. i do hope some one chims in so we can get the straight talk from some of those that are in the know.

1800 Diesel

Twitchit--thanks for the reply...was beginning to wonder if my post was invisible to others...I'm planning to check the valve lash on Thursday. TM states .010" for intake & .007" for exhaust with temp of ~70 degrees. Glad it's not a hot engine setting...those are always fun...I also see there's a cleaning of oil passages I can do while the valve cover is off. Hopefully the gasket is in good shape or I'll just make another one if needed...

Thanks again for the words...I'll report back when I check the valve lash....might be a couple days...have to prep for receipt of a USMC quadcon tomorrow & today we had rain all day....

1800 Diesel

timntrucks,

I ran our family home in Mississippi for 2 1/2 weeks after Katrina with our MEP3 but this is my first experience with the MEP2 model. My neighbor is buying this one from me for his dad's old home near the Alabama coast. Fortunately this place has gas HW heater, stove & dryer...not sure about AC, but assume it is electric. I expect the MEP2 would easily handle a 3 ton unit though, provided you didn't have range top burner running & three teenagers with curling irons & hair dryers running. The MEP2 will produce at least 7KW or a little more...

BTW, what's the prediction for strawberries this coming season? We used to pick over there when I was growing up.... ;-)

storeman

I had one 002 that vibrated badly until I put it on casters. Turned out the skid frame was bent or rather slightly twisted. Bad rubber cushions in the engine or genhead mounts can do the same. BTW, I think the 3 ton central AC will take all the 002a can produce.
Jerry

Keith_J

These are all 20+ year old units. The rubber isolators age differently because rubber is a highly variable compound. Also, different exposure conditions could harden some faster.

Yes, the 002s vibrate more because they have half the cylinders of the 003s. This is a BIG parallel twin engine.

1800 Diesel

Jerry,

I'll check the frame to look for any out-of-straightness...Do bad rubber cushions show any evidence such as cracking or crumbling on the exterior surface or should I pull them one-by-one to inspect? Still planning to check valve lash first, but the engine runs well so not expecting any anomalies there...

You're probably correct about the 3 ton AC load on the MEP2...if it would me I would definitely go with the MEP3 for any place that was all-electric & even with that unit, selective appliance usage would be in order. BTW, standing by for the package to get our MEP2 "#3 unit" going. Thanks.

LuckyDog

1800 Diesel

I wrote about the valve adjustment procedure for the 002A in this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?94245-MEP-002A-Valve-Adjustment-Procedure

No concensus reach. But you have a couple candidates for testing the A vs. B arguement.

-Paul
Paul,

That's a great string to read through--lots of good info. I'll check the valve lash and record temperature & clearances "as found" and then try the TM procedure. As I said, the engine runs good but am willing to adjust valves to achieve less vibration.

Thanks,

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks