• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camouflage tint for windows

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,
I have a M1009 and am looking to tint the back side and rear windows with green Camouflage see through material. Wondered who has done it and if they have any recommendations on it. Also when they bought it from.

Thanks

CUCVLOVER

Any place that does custom vehicle wraps and window graphics should be able to do it. What I have seen on windows is a vinyl like material that's perforated with the graphics in the outside and you can still see out and it blocks most of the light by default.

I know a guy here has a blazer with a camo stuff on the windows I'm sure he will speak up.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks I did find a company in Indy that does the wraps and they wanted $850 to do it. That seems rather high to me?

cucvrus

If you have that tint on any windows In PA you may as well put a lighted sign on your vehicle. Hey Officer I am over here come arrest me. That would not fly in PA on any of the windows. I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala that had dark tint from the factory. I and my wife have been pulled over several times. I learned to ask the Officer to look at the code etched in the glass that has a DOT #. They usually just say thank you have a nice day and return to there doughnut wagons. That seems to have stopped the police harassment but it still happens on occasion. They do not carry light meters and they never have a defined set of rules that says how dark you may have the windows. I think they chance it that the person they pull over will just pay the fine. I would not know how to take the tint off the glass it is part of the glass on this car. Even decals on the windows will get you pulled over.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have that tint on any windows In PA you may as well put a lighted sign on your vehicle. Hey Officer I am over here come arrest me. That would not fly in PA on any of the windows. I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala that had dark tint from the factory. I and my wife have been pulled over several times. I learned to ask the Officer to look at the code etched in the glass that has a DOT #. They usually just say thank you have a nice day and return to there doughnut wagons. That seems to have stopped the police harassment but it still happens on occasion. They do not carry light meters and they never have a defined set of rules that says how dark you may have the windows. I think they chance it that the person they pull over will just pay the fine. I would not know how to take the tint off the glass it is part of the glass on this car. Even decals on the windows will get you pulled over.
Here is some info on the PA window tinting laws:

http://www.tinting-laws.com/pennsylvania/
http://www.cartintlaw.com/pennsylvania/

Putting a camo paint scheme on the rear and back window of a M1009 should be legal in PA.

A couple of years ago I tried to camo the rear side windows of my M1009 using the window graphic stick on materials.
I tried to paint the window graphic material and it did not turn out well. The paint filled in the holes and it would look better if the window was tinted.

It would be best to have a professional sign maker print the sign material and tint the window to see the darker camo colors better.

Karl

Attachments

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

It never fails.

Someone starts a thread asking about doing some modification to his truck, and some from another state pops in to say "that isn't legal in my state", and someone else posts the laws for the irrelevant state.

Why?

I dunno.

You'd think by now we'd all understand that laws are different in different states.

Drock

I can't imagine covering the back window would be illegal in any state. Panel vans, box trucks, and even m1010's have either no, or obscured back windows. You can order Chevy HHR's, and Dodge caravans as delivery vans with the back and side windows deleted. The only window definitely NOT allowed to be covered is the wind shield and in some states the front door glasses. Also headache bars cover back windows as well. These laws are purposely written vague so police can freely collect revenue, or have an excuse to pull over suspicious vehicles. Kind of like being arrested for resisting arrest. Just another tax on the uninformed.2cents

Last edited:

cucvrus

It never fails.

Someone starts a thread asking about doing some modification to his truck, and some from another state pops in to say "that isn't legal in my state", and someone else posts the laws for the irrelevant state.

Why?

I dunno.

You'd think by now we'd all understand that laws are different in different states.
I don't see a gain or fail in the discussions. I see it as guys in a hobby conversing about the hobby. If I can't converse why even have a place to post. Just put up what you want us to read or (NOT read) and we read it. Like a newspaper. We read it and its Gospel. Did you see the funny Steel Soldiers video on You Tube. Laughed I did. But it is freedom and just talk amongst people of the same interests and hobby just debating and sharing opinions and experiences. No matter what country or state they are from. Simple.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK back to my M1009. LOL I have found some camo prints I can do myself on Amazon. Has anyone tried it and and how'd it work out?
I want to do my rear window that does have the hand crank and can lower the window and the rear side windows.
Thanks

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're going to crank, make sure that your window guides, or whatever, aren't going to catch the Vinyl or whatever you put on and tear it all up the first time you lower your window... Might want to get something cheap to test first...

cucvrus

That is a big 10-4 on that one. I had a customer bring me his M1009 for a new gate. He asked if he could have the window while I had it out. I gave it to him. He had a decal custom made for it and it got cut and torn in about 2 weeks of putting the window up and down. The adhesive got hot in the sun and the new wipers and felts tore it off like masking tape. He then had it tinted and the tint was scratched so bad after 3 months I removed the window and the tint for him. We were able to locate a factory matrix grid dot glass from a 1987-1991 K5 at a Youpullit and that is the way we went. Good thing because he shattered the glass while he was trying to remove the old clear one. He wanted to save labor and not wait for his appointed time for me to do it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks