• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can extreme cold crack a block?

m1garand_man

So I decided to just buy a Boyce equippment 6.2 to replace the one I have with a cracked block.

I am wondering what might have caused the one that is in my truck now to develope a cracked block. Only thing I can think of was starting the truck all winter at work when it was below freezing. It would frequently be in the single didgets and some times as cold as -15 or so. I was running 15w40 all winter which probably was a mistake. I just am wondering could starting an extreemly cold engine like that have cracked the block? What measures can I take tp prevent this from happeneing again this next winter?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soft plugs very seldom prevent cracking. I know people call them "freeze plugs" but the only reason they are there is to get the sand out of the casting when the head or block was made. They were never designed to prevent cracking of the frozen coolant. Sometimes you do get lucky though and it only pushes the plugs out.

m1garand_man

I'm not sure where the crack is yet. But redoing the head gaskets and having the heads rebuilt, machined and pressure tested didnt solve the issue with the coolant leaking into the crank case. I think that the coolant was fine allthough I didnt test it. When I put it in the previous winter it was a bit stronger than 50/50. Oh well its all water under the bridge now. Or coolant in the crank case :) I'll look for the culprit after I replace the engine and have time to take the old one apart.

littlebob

I would think it was the coolant/antifreeze. Any chance you bought the pre-diluted stuff and diluted it?
I've almost picked up the diluted antifreeze by mistake.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you know that you put enough antifreeze in when you put it in you will be covered unless you added straight water to it at some point. Antifreeze doesn't loose it's antifreeze qualities with age.