• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can i ask for a BIG favor.....

84cucv1ton

OK well, this suck. i havea m009 and a m1028 with the same problem. both very low miles on them. i just dont know what i am doing. to tell you the truth i am really pissed off about this and i no patients left for it. been this way for a while. anyway, i am in big need of cash right now. i was offerd 8k for these two trucks. I need them to start up. i dont want to sell them but thats how it goes i guess. So, i know somw of you on here really know you stuff, so what would be a good time to chat with you guys. i need this done liek last week. so any help is VERY good. thanks a lot let me know what good

mike

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what have you tried doing? Do they just crank and not start? did they run before? I am no expert on these but good at knowing a little bit about most automotive things.

84cucv1ton

RE: Re: Can i ask for a BIG favor.....

cranks but will not start. just found out i have the wrong glow plugs. new ones on the way.

papercu

cranks

I would think in the middle of June in NJ, even with no glow plugs working they should start. May take a little extra cranking first time of the day. Wayne

acetomatoco

RE: cranks

Another case of not knowing what you are buying.. Get those manuals and study them in bed for a few weeks before jumping into the fire.... or in this case...lack of fire..... use of crude language turns off many who might help....

pa.rich

Check your in tank fuel pump, see if it is humming and pushing fuel out of the line, it may not be working. Sorry you have to sell them. You can pick up on the hobby another time . Hope things get better in your life soon.I understand your frustration. And ditto on the glow plugs- you only need them when weather is cold. You should make sure it is getting fuel through the line. Unscrew it and see if it shoots out, have someone crank the starter for you , hold a coffee can at the line to catch the fuel. If it was out of fuel, it may need priming. You will have to loosen a bleeder to let air out, but that will only work if you have a good fuel pump. Good luck, let us know what you need.
The cucv's have a mechanical lift pump, but they will run just fine without them. although they will start harder. CUCV's NEED the glow plugs. ( I know this first hand)

mangus580

Rich, we are talking CUCV here...

Wayne, no, the 6.2 will need the glow plugs unless the engine temp is above roughly 100° F

Mike, in reference to your first post, it was quite cyrptic. You were asking us for help, but not really saying what the problem was. We need specific details of your problem, or we wont be able to provide any help at all.

Wrong glow plugs doesnt make a whole lot of sense, unless they fried instantly. I suspect you are also having controller or wiring problems. Would be glad to help diagnose, just need to understand exactly what happens when you try to start it.

papercu

wearther

Seeing how it's a diesel and if you have compression(@ 3,000/ 4,500 psi) and fuel, just how long do you think it takes the air inside the cylinder to reach combustion? Wayne

mangus580

RE: wearther

The issue is the 'pre-chamber' setup that the 6.2's use. I would suspect on a 90° day in the direct sun, glow plugs would not be needed... but on maybe a 75° overcast day, they probably would. Just not quite enough temperature soaked into the engine. I have been amazed at the difference between no-glow and a few seconds of glow on a 'cool' engine.

84cucv1ton

Sorry didnt mean to make anyone mad. just tired of this! Well, i put in 60gs. seam to help for a short time. i did everything the tm said. still missed the probem. tryed a switch, got the relay to click. still nothing. will be getting the right plugs of ebay soon. i guess thats the first thing will see how it goes i guess

Michael

AC60g plugs should work. There is some discussion that they have a different resistance than the original AC13 plugs, but they are self limiting and I haven't had any trouble with mine. You could always bypass the resister and hook up to the 12Volt buss that is just above the relay.

You can also unhook the glow plugs and use either in an emergency. Just don't ever use either and even 1 good glow plug. It can seriously damage your engine.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this. Take at least a 10 guage wire. Stick it into the glow plug wire holder on the #2 cylinder. Then stick the other end on the pos side of the primary battery. Count to 7. The wire will get hot in your hand after counting to 7 pull the wire and turn the key to start. Do not wait for the glow plug light to go out. If the engine starts. Then the controller card or relay is bad. Even though the relay clicks it still could be shot. This a has happened to me a few times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks