• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

can the solenoid on a gear recuc starter

edpdx

Can the solenoid on a gear reduction starter be opened and serviced? I think I figured out what is the problem with my starter. The starter relay mod clicks. but the starter does not spin up on the vehicle. When I remove the starter and bridge the "S" bolt to the battery cable bolt with a screwdriver it spins up nicely. I noticed the "S" bolt just spins in the housing when I try to cinch the nut holding the purple wire on. Soooo, I think the connection inside of the solenoid is broken. When I turn the key, the wire is juiced; but not getting the juice to the starter motor via the big Red battery cable on the starter.

How does the solenoid come off of the starter? I unbolted the back bolts; but the front ones don't seem to release the guts from the solenoid housing. There is a pivot pin that hold the wishbone; but do I have to pull it to release the solenoid?

rnd-motorsports

Without seeing what the sarter you have its hard to say. It is pos that you need to pull the pin. I also have a few gear reduction units that have three bolts holding the solenoid two on the sol. side and one from the bendix side into the solenoid. check to see if a replacement solenoid is avalable for your starter and go from there!