• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can you swap an M109 box for an M35 bed

KaiserM109

You see, the problem is that you guys are having so damned much fun with your M35s around town that I’m getting jealous. In many ways my M109A3 is not as useful.

One big question that breaks down to several smaller ones, “If I had a cargo bed (35Ax style) how difficult would it be to switch back and forth between the two?”

Secondary questions, “Are the frames the same?”
“Do the beds mount on the frame the same?”
“Are there cargo beds readily available?”

Looking at the box and at weight tables I estimate the box without any adornment weighs in at 2500 to 3000 lb. I am guessing that a cargo bed comes in at around 2000. Assuming that I have suitable sized jacks, etc could I lift the beds off the way people do with pickup campers?

The bottom of the box looks like skids. I was thinking that after disconnecting everything, I could cable the box to a telephone pole, etc and pull it back 2 – 3 ft (or drive the truck forward). Then I could jack it up an inch or so and build a support structure out of timbers. Then I could drive the truck forward until 2 ft. was left on the frame. Then I could jack that end up 1 inch and build another suitably strong structure under it for storage.

It’s either that or find a way to convince my wife that I need another deuce.

Oh, by the way, I got a job today!! I haven’t seen the salary terms yet, and they don’t know it, but I like the job so much that I would take a cut in salary to accept it. I had my 2nd face-to-face interview today and we spent 20 minutes talking about my deuce and other projects. I will get to wear blue jeans to work, too. For a software engineer without a pony tail, that is something.

KaiserM109

ida34,
DRMO in Ft. Carson, CO has an M109A3 that has been stripped; no wheels, drums, etc. The box looks good. I don't know how long they stay in DRMO before they move over to GL, but keep watching.

acetomatoco

I remove mine with a small forklift on one side and a backhoe with bucket forks on the other... becomes a one Soldier job with the right equipment...2 lifts and drive out from under it.

papercu

bed

Don't forget, when you get the cargo bed, you are authorized to have a real air horn and not your beep beep anymore. Wayne

Rattlehead

If I had to do it over again, I might have gotten an M35 and then just upfitted a com shelter for camping. The shelter could be removed when not used, or even put on a trailer to keep the truck bed usable for hauling and still have the camper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks